Asrock 4CoreDual-VSTA VIA PT880 Ultra....

Discussion in 'ASRock' started by ~misfit~, Nov 3, 2007.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    The only IDE device I'm using is a Pioneer DVR-110D (which "device manager"
    think is a SCSI device anyway as the ICH9 southbridge doesn't support PATA
    so it's run off a JMicron controller that also provides 2 eSATA). That is
    using the supplied Asus 80 wire cable and is running at Ultra DMA mode 5.
    Hmmm, I'll try another mouse. Hell, if you told me to try sticking a pencil
    up my nose and a finger in my arse I probably would at this stage.
    Yeah, I have an install disc that has SP1 and 2 and all updates to May '07
    slipstreamed. Don't be afraid to state the obvious, it's easy to make
    "simple" mistakes, especially when you've been up all night messing with
    something like I have with this more than once.
    This thing just won't do it. Or even switch off. It instant re-starts
    everytime I try to switch it off and I have to hit the switch on the PSU.
    OK, in order:

    I set everything to default last night, went to bed with Azureus running and
    this morning find that it had re-booted about an hour after I left the room.

    I have Transcend DDR2 800, 1.8v, 5-6-6-18, 2 x 1GB, Dual-Channel kit. Not
    the greatest RAM in the world but, set at 800, a Memtest bootable CD runs
    without errors for hours. CPU-Z reports it as whatever I set it to in the
    BIOS.

    The BIOS vcore settings seem to be 0.15 or so lower than everything else
    reports. At first I thought it might be the weaker PSU and a sagging 12v
    rail but it's the same with the new PSU that has an 18A rail dedicated to
    CPU. Perhaps that could be part of the problem too? Maybe "default" is in
    Yeah, however, having fresh eyes looking at it is always good. I'll try
    another mouse and, instead of setting the vcore to default I'll ramp it up a
    bit.
    LOL! They didn't have them in stock and couldn't give me a time-frame for
    supply. I was seduced by the P35 northbridge, the ICH9 southbridge and the
    eight-phase VRM. It looked, at lest on paper, to be a good 'un. I've just
    downloaded the latest chipset drivers from Asus' site and will try them.
    Thank you kind sir, the same to you and yours.

    Oh, if anyone else happens to be reading this who has experience with an
    Asus board in this (extensive) P5K range, please comment. Please. Help with
    the BIOS would be great, as well as personal experience. Hence the subject
    change. :)

    Thanks again for the reply Doc, nice typing with you, as always.

    ~misfit~, Nov 10, 2007

  2. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Dr.White wrote:

    BTW, please excuse my inexcuseable bad manners. Thanks for this link, I have
    duly bookmarked it for possible future reference.

    Yours,

    ~misfit~, Nov 10, 2007

  3. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    Replying to myself, sometimes it's lonely. ;-)

    Here's what it looked like after sitting it on the CPU (slightly to the side
    as the caps were in the way). Talk about a dip in the middle! There was a
    lot of TIP on that CPU too!

    http://test.internet-webmaster.de/upload/1194771833.jpg

    Here's what it looked like after I'd lapped it, found it wouldn't fit, then
    ground the corners off it:

    http://test.internet-webmaster.de/upload/1194771951.jpg

    I finished the job with a file before lapping it a bit more. My neightbout
    held it for me, he's not a geek, knows nothing about computers. He was
    really impressed by heatpipes though. We took the fan off and placed it
    fins-down on a stool. He held it around the fin area while I drove the
    grinder. After around 20 seconds I'd have to stop as it was too hot for him
    to hold. I had an old AT PSU set up and a fan and sat a fan on top for 10
    seconds after each 20 seconds of grinding and it was cool as a cucumber
    again. Very nice.

    Once fitted it reduced my temps by around 12°C over the stock cooler, both
    idle temp and full-load temp. Colour me impressed.
    Oh, this morning sometime I decided to re-start the PC and it behaved! It
    installed 54 updates before turning off properly. Now it turns off properly
    all the time. I didn't change anything that I know of, it just fixed itself.
    maybe it's run-in now?
    I'm impressed with this RAM. I have it running better now (read below) and
    the RAM is set at 444MHz, DDR2 888 instead of 800. 1.8v. I ran Memtest boot
    CD for 2 hours and it was fine, no errors, fiftrh time through the tests.
    While we're on the subject of VRM and I'm posting links to pics I'll show
    you the first thing I did when I unpacked this board:

    http://test.internet-webmaster.de/upload/1194772850.jpg
    (You can see the caps around the corner there that are just a couple mm too
    high for the Mini Typhoon to fit un-modified)
    http://test.internet-webmaster.de/upload/1194772909.jpg
    http://test.internet-webmaster.de/upload/1194772944.jpg
    http://test.internet-webmaster.de/upload/1194772969.jpg

    Whaddya reckon? I put a dab of TIP on each of the eight MOSFETS, sat the
    'sink on top and it made pretty good contact with them. Some better than
    others but all are benefiting from the heatsink (with varying amounts of
    paste between them and the 'sink).

    Well, it seems I was right about the BIOS reporting voltage wrong and the
    mobo supplying lower-than-stated vcore. I have added 0.15v to my settings
    and the board is now rock-stable. It's overclocked to 2.93GHz at "stock'
    voltage, 1.35v. (BIOS says 1.5v but CPU-Z and Asus' own PC Probe II Windows
    hardware monitor both say 1.35v) Core Temp tells me 23°C idle in a 19° room
    and 58°C after both Orthos and TAT have been running for 15 minutes. (It hit
    72° at the same setting with the stock cooler before I fitted the Mini
    Typhoon.)

    So I reckon I might either push it a bit more in a while, or lower the vcore
    a bit. I know it won't even run at stock speed at 1.2v, which is what the
    board was giving it on "Default" setting. However, maybe it'll run 2.93 at
    1.3v? Or do 3GHz+ at the voltage it's at now, or with maybe a bit more.....
    I'm really curious to know if anyone else is running one of the boards by
    Asus in the same 'series' as mine, P5K, if their boards are giving lower
    vcore than they're suposed to. Imagine if I didn't persevere? I've already
    sent an RMA request in for this board as it wouldn't run under load at
    default settings. I'm thinking I'll keep it now though, I think I have it
    sussed.

    I wouldn't mind input on that decision please as I'm thinking that I'll be
    keeping this board for a few years and dropping a multi-core
    Penryn/Wolfdale/Yorkfield CPU into this P35 "Bearlake" chipset mobo in 12 -
    18 months when they're affordable. I'd hate to regret keeoing it when the
    warranty's run out. By the same token, it'd be a PITA to be without it while
    I wait for a RMA. Decisions... I guess, if it stays stable for a month it
    should be fine? LOL.

    Anyway... *YAY!!!!* It's finally working as advertised. I probably needed
    the new PSU anyway, it just would have been nice to have been able to wait a
    week or two for funds.

    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, Nov 11, 2007
  4. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Wow! Effortlessly doing 3.2GHz (291MHz FSB) at the same vcore, idle and load
    temps. Just ran Orthos + TAT for an hour.

    I'm tempted....

    ~misfit~, Nov 11, 2007
  5. ~misfit~

    Dr.White Guest

    Sweet. Oh, BTW, I'm very impressed with the impovised heatsink - nice work
    mate, and great work on the Thermaltake too, really good stuff, although it
    must be said, they should get their act together selling stuff that is not
    flat - Christ sakes, they base their business on selling coolers - and I
    seem to recall this ain't the first Thermaltake with a problem like that in
    the last couple o' weeks. Intel stock coolers have a nice flat piece of
    lathed / planed copper. If you want a job doing right, etc...

    I am relieved for you mate, really, it's a right pain when a PC isn't
    stable. 1.2v is exceptionally borderline for your chip, if I'm not mistaken.
    This little E2160 looks to be getting 1.296V in BIOS and CPU-Z, under
    maximum cpu load it can drop to 1.268 (is that ok?), but never lower. I
    guess there's no reason why you shouldn't just slam that FSB up, a fantastic
    setup you have there. Those temps are great, especially so with Intel TAT.
    Mine has hit 73 with TAT, but I have zero airflow in my case. I stuck an old
    fan into the chassis fan header and it nearly fuckin' did a harrier jump jet
    on me, with speedfan seemingly unable to adjust it, whilst perfectly able to
    control the CPU fan, so I think i'll grab a couple of Akasa fans and those
    cheap rheostat things.

    You ought to try everything possible to crash your machine, especially
    restarting it with updates pending, all drives spinning, Orthos, etc, and if
    there are no issues after a few days I would keep the board and give
    yourself a pat on the back.

    How are the SATA drive(s) working out, by the way? I'm looking to grab one
    for xmas - I'm impressed with Hitachi drives for quietness and speed, any
    suggestions are welcome though, I haven't used SATA yet. I was thinking
    maybe install the OS on one and programs on t'other, perhaps keep my IDE, or
    would it be best to leave the IDE out of it?

    Anyhow, good on ya mate. Cheers.

    Dr.White.

    Dr.White, Nov 11, 2007
  6. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Thanks, I've always been a do-it-yourself kind of guy. Roll up the sleeves
    and get on with it....

    The higher-cost boards have a heatsink fitted on that area as well as a
    small axial fan bundled that clips onto the heatsink/NB-heatpipe-radiator on
    the other bank of MOSFETs in case of low airflow in that area, like, water
    in cooling situations. The blurb on Asus' international and NZ sites both
    say "bundled optional fan" (bloody Chinglish!) so I emailed my (Asian)
    supplier, gave them the a1 dictionary definition of "bundled" (A group of
    thing gathered together, usually for convenience) and asked for my fan. He
    said that they opened a few other P5K-E/WiFi-AP boxes and, no, none of them
    have it. I'd have to take it up with Asus. I just might, although I don't
    really need it (yet?).
    From what I've read, Thermaltake have been one of the better marques in this
    regard which was a big part of my decision to choose one of their products.
    (That and the fact that all the Zalman's I could find in stock were
    side-blowers, I wanted one that blows toward the mobo for the cooling of
    MOSFETs etc.).
    Exactly. Looks lathed to me.
    Yep. Must admit, it was my first attempt at lapping. I've read instructions
    posted here and elsewhere often enough though, to be able to do it without
    consulting anything. It's not exactly rocket science, just tedious,
    repetitive work.
    Agreed. Especially OOTB, using BIOS defaults. It's a different thing when
    it's not stable due to OC'ing or similar but when it won't run at stock you
    gots to wonder...

    I haven't had a reply from my supplier about RMA'ing the board yet. Normally
    they respond to my emails within an hour during business hours (11am Monday
    here). However, I think I've convinced myself to keep it.
    Borderline enough so that it would spontaneously re-boot without warning.
    In my experience, vcore dropping a *bit* under load is relatively normal.
    Yours is a *fraction* more than a bit (Heh!) and I find that is usually down
    to either weak PSU or VRM stage. However, it's not bad, certainly not bad
    enough to worry about. If I were in your shoes, with a mobo that doesn't
    have vcore settings and wanted to OC further I'd see about borrowing a
    gruntier PSU (before contemplating a purchase) to see if it made a
    difference. Just a thought.
    Thanks. :)

    I did take the FSB to 300 (CPU 3.3GHz, 50% OC) without touching the vcore or
    anything else last night and booted it into Windows. It ran Orthos and TAT
    consecutively without any change in temps for about 6 or 7 minutes before
    blue-screening. I like the idea of a 50% OC, I haven't had one that high
    since my Coppermine Celeron 600s that would run at 900 (on a 100MHz FSB)
    with a large dollop of extra vcore. I might just try again, with a slight
    vcore increase, just for bragging rights. LOL, I don't need half of the
    power this CPU delivers as it is.
    Mine was hitting about the same at 2.93GHz with great case cooling and stock
    HSF. The Mini Typhoon dropped that a little more than 15°C. Case airflow is
    so important, especially for NB, SB, VRM, graphics card and HDD temps as
    well as getting rid of CPU heat. I always go overkill on case cooling, I
    have a nibbler and lots of fans and aren't afriad to use them! Usually I
    don't care about looks but this little iCute case with it's 25cm fan built
    into the side is the dog's bollocks. Max case airflow with reasonable looks.
    (It's on the sidebar and also at the bottom on this page:
    http://www.casepower.com.tw/english/ however clicking it doesn't seem to
    bring anything up. I have the S901 model, in black.)
    I like that this mobo has "Q-Fan 2", the native ability to control the speed
    of fans attached to any one of the 5 (!) case fan headers on the mobo
    depending on the mobo/case temp. However, the two case fans I have are
    connected via molex.
    Thanks for confirming what I've pretty much decided on. Now, do you mind
    giving me your address in case I regret my decision, so that I can have the
    boys pay you a little visit?
    Really good. I have two 320GB Seagates, model .10, SATA II, with
    perpendicular storage technology and 16MB cache each. I was using them in my
    previous system via a PCI-SATA card. No RAID though, RAID 0 doubles the
    chance of drive failure loosing all data and RAID 1 halves the available
    drive space. If I had more moola I might go for RAID 0+1. Alas....
    I've had great runs from all Seagates I've ever owned. So much so that I'm
    sold on them. Seagates only here. I had an IBM "Deathstar" that lived up to
    it's nickname. Since Hitachi bought out IBM's HDD fabrication plants it
    still colours my judgement of them. Probably totally irrational but, hey,
    I'm only human, (despite rumours to the contrary).
    I have a similar system. OS on one drive, 5GB partition, quick to defrag
    (Raxco PerfectDisk) as Windows can't spread it's system files too far and
    wide. Then I have a programs partition on the other for everything except OS
    and AV. (20GB) I also have a dedicated 3GB FAT32-formatted (faster than
    NTFS) partition first on the second drive solely for swapfile. I also set
    the max and min swapfile sixes as the same so that Windows doesn't decide to
    re-size on-the-fly and slow me down.

    If your IDE drive is a reasonably new one (> four years old, 7,200rpm,
    ATA100/133) then I don't see a problem with keeping it in the mix as
    outlined. If it's older/slower than that personally I'd still use it as
    above except have the swap on a dedicated partition on the primary drive.
    The same to you old chap. Take care,

    ~misfit~, Nov 11, 2007
  7. : 'Howard Goldstein' wrote, in reply to:
    : | : Anyway, the next really good thing is the Nehalem in the second half of
    : | : 2008. The Nehalem will likely require a new motherboard and possibly
    : new
    : | : memory.
    : | :
    : |
    : | I'm screwed then -- I've tapped out my motherboard budget for the next
    : | year with the three bought in 2007 :( Man do I hope you're wrong on
    : | this one bit.
    : _____
    :
    : A tock is a MAJOR change The Nehalem is a tock and will NOT work with
    : current motherboards; the memory bus is handled from within the CPU chip
    : rather than in the chip set. The change from Core 2 Duo to Nehalem is more
    : profound than the change from the Pentium III to the Pentium 4. Completely
    : different FrontSide Bus, support for DDR3, additional instructions, quad
    : core on a single die, some CPUs will have two dies, one for the cores and
    : one for integrated graphics. Stepping indicates relatively minor changes, a
    : die shrink is a relatively minor change.

    Oh darn well a few of those - integrated memory controller, single die
    for the CPU right off the bat - sound like they're ging to be worth
    running out and getting a new motherboard right away so I'm not going
    to save any $$. With all of the CPUs on one die does that imply a new
    cache architecture that'll share the second level cache across
    all the processors and maybe make life a little more efficient for
    naive SMP systems?

    Howard Goldstein, Nov 15, 2007