ASrock 775dual-VSTA sometimes refuses to boot even to BIOS

Discussion in 'ASRock' started by jives11, Mar 23, 2007.

  1. jives11

    jives11 Guest

    Hi,

    I have a Pentium 4 775dual-VSTA system I built at christmas. I'm
    seeing a problem where sometime it refuses to boot. It does not run
    the BIOS , nor do I see the nvidia details.
    I've had this occur with either an FX5200 (AGP) or an FX 7600 (PCI-E)
    as the motherboard has both slots.
    Lights and fans come on, red disk IO light comes on, and the CD rom
    light comes on, then it just hanges. Typically if I try later
    ( normally after an hour) it will boot.

    Turning off the the unit at the wall does not appear to make a
    difference.

    I flashed the BIOS to the most recent a few weeks ago.

    Any suggestions. When the PC boots (most of the time) it appears to
    run fine, nothing in the system event log, no BSOD, everything is fine

    jives11, Mar 23, 2007

  2. jives11

    peter Guest

    after flashing the BIOS did you reset to Deafult?? and boot
    then restart and enter BIOS and adjust to what your actually running??
    peter

    peter, Mar 24, 2007

  3. jives11

    jives11 Guest

    Thanks. yes I did set the bios to default, reboot then change any
    entries. I have just repeated this for the 2.60 version of the BIOS
    and have still seen the problem recur.

    however an odd workaround that seems to work is

    1) Boot PC and it hangs pre BIOS or Graphics card banner

    2) Eject the CD tray

    3) press the reset button

    4) gren light and red light on, then when the CD light flashes, it
    retracts the extended tray and the PC seems to boot fine.

    twice now this sequence seems to have worked. I'm wondering if there
    is some PSU issue. It's a 500W supply, but it came with the case, so
    is not a name PSU.

    perhaps forcing the CDROM to retract the tray, gives the MBO time to
    get over whatever voltage drop it sees ? CD is a Linte-On DVD/CD combo
    and I have flashed it with the latest firmware too.

    jives11, Mar 24, 2007
  4. Try a known good quality ps. or connect a meter on the lines and see if any
    funny business is happening. Power supplies don't last forever but the
    better
    ones last longer.

    later.....

    ***** charles, Mar 24, 2007
  5. jives11

    Anssi Saari Guest

    I've had a similar problem lately. System works otherwise, but often
    it sticks in a boot loop before loading the OS, but eventually it gets
    out of it. Things are rock solid otherwise, if I can get an operating
    system loaded.

    The problem with this sort of thing is that it can be almost anything.
    In my case I eventually found this problem has to do with the BIOS. If
    I change CPU speed to anything but the default, this problem occurs.
    Thing is, the CPU is a Turion and the default speed is 800 MHz while
    nominal speed is 2 GHz.

    Anssi Saari, Mar 27, 2007
  6. jives11

    Roy Coorne Guest

    A Turion on a socket 775 board? Or what...

    Roy Coorne, Mar 29, 2007
  7. jives11

    jcascav

    Joined:
    Oct 22, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi,

    Excuse-me for post in old thread, but I have the same problem.

    In my case, if I turn off the system and turn on at the time the fans stop, the boot is completed. Strange.......but work, and runs win Vista Ultimate as rock solid.

    My System:
    - C2D E4400 @ 2Ghz - cooler BOX
    - Asrock 775Dual-VSTA - Bios 3.0
    - 2x1GB DDRII 667Mhz
    - evga 6800GS 256MB 256bits CO AGP
    - HD SATA Seagate 120GB
    - HD IDE Maxtor 40GB
    - DVDRW Sony
    - 5FAN80
    - PSU Enermax 460W FMA EG465P-VE

    Someone succeeded in solving the problem?
    There is possibility of someday have a solution?....:confused:

    jcascav, Oct 22, 2007
  8. jives11

    KG Bird

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2013
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Finally a solution! (I hope)

    If anyone ever comes to this thread looking for a solution, here is what I found. The contacts on the Dual Vista motherboard are not gold plated and seem to corrode a bit. I popped mine out, put it back in and voila, it booted up. I hope this works for you too if you have a motherboard with this same issue.

    KG Bird, Jan 19, 2013