Asus A33 DAV

Discussion in 'Asus' started by ChicagoDave, Mar 23, 2009.

  1. ChicagoDave

    ChicagoDave Guest

    Hi,

    I just picked up an ASUS A33 DAV center on Ebay. It is a compact unit
    with a built it in sound system and two tuner cards. It isn't all
    that well powered for HD, but to be honest, I'm not all that concerned
    with that. Mainly I want it for it's DVR capabilities and SD is fine
    for me, really.

    Here's the thing, it shipped with no OS. It has HDMI and S-Video
    outputs, but no SVGA out. I'm not sure how I'm going to get this
    thing built. Plugging in the S-Video into my TV gives me no signal,
    and I'm guessing HDMI will do the same. It seems like the system
    needs an OS before it will know how to run those other outputs...but I
    can't get the OS going until I can see what the thing is doing.

    If anyone has any experience working with these, or any insight, I'd
    greatly appreciate it!

    Thanks so much in advance.

    Dave

    ChicagoDave, Mar 23, 2009

  2. ChicagoDave

    RobV Guest

    According to the specs, it uses Windows Vista Home Premium. Sounds like
    it's supposed to come installed on the unit. The link below loads a
    flash program that gives you the info for the A33 (links at the bottom):
    http://event.asus.com/2007/DigitalHome/A33/EN/

    RobV, Mar 23, 2009

  3. ChicagoDave

    Paul Guest

    Hmmm. Only one manual offered, and it is "Traditional_Chinese_Manual.zip".
    The pickings are pretty slim looking. Almost like this was intended for
    their home market.

    http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=A33

    But all is not lost. Go here. (Note - packet loss to Asia is high right
    now, causing the download rate with this particular server, to be crappy.
    Use this directory, just to get some file names. Don't try to download
    stuff here.)

    ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/asus/DigitalHome/DAV/A33/

    Then, tack the name of the file, like "MCE_Ext_V104.zip", onto the
    link the regular download server would use. This might run faster.
    I tried this one, and it worked. (Inside the ZIP, it says "Vista"
    and it is a multi-language installer.)

    http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/DigitalHome/DAV/A33/MCE_Ext_V104.zip

    Since I don't read Chinese, traditional or otherwise, I can only
    go by the smell of what is in that download directory. It
    uses Vista MCE, so either there is a Vista CD in the box, or
    you provide some version of Vista that has MCE separately. I
    see two pieces of media shown as part of the package, so look
    for your CD/DVDs.

    If the machine has a BIOS, it should be displaying a 640x480 BIOS
    screen on some output. It doesn't have to be completely dead
    at startup.

    Just a guess,
    Paul

    Paul, Mar 23, 2009
  4. ChicagoDave

    ChicagoDave Guest

    I figured it out. The bios was set to using PCI-Express video, not
    the onboard. I didn't have a pci-e video card, but once I went out
    and got it, I was able to see and it worked fine.

    I have Windows 7 loaded on it right now and it works pretty darned
    well. It detected the Tuners and found the channels great. The guide
    for LiveTV is pretty out of whack, doesn't show the right listings
    anywhere, so that will be tonight's adventure. HD channels are as
    expected, kind of jittery, but the SD stuff is stellar.

    I'll probably going the Vista route, as that's what this box was
    designed for, but so far I'm really pleased with this first time
    around.

    ChicagoDave, Mar 25, 2009
  5. ChicagoDave

    mail Guest

    I'm having trouble installing drivers for ASUS 33 DAV I used Vista
    Ultimate. In device manager i see 2 Video driver entry and 2 unknown
    devices. I need help finding correct drivers and installing them. the
    AV controller is not working either. I dont have HDMI on my TV, and
    svideo looks very bad on my tv. please help

    mail, Mar 26, 2009
  6. ChicagoDave

    ChicagoDave Guest

    I'm having trouble installing drivers for ASUS 33 DAV I used Vista
    I was able to run straight video out from the yellow jack into the
    game port on my regular TV and it looked okay when it played video,
    but was pretty horrific in terms of computer display. Running
    component and HDMI was okay with native drivers - but once I
    downloaded the Nvidia drivers it looked stellar.

    Now I've found a couple of other issues. One, this box runs REALLY
    hot. An inch or two above the top of the machine isn't enough.
    Likely this box won't be able to be in the cabinet at all (which
    defeats the purpose), and I'll likely need to either mod out the fans
    and CPU heatsink. The HDMI also only worked for about a day at which
    point it only displayed black or purple psychadelic colors. Component
    works well for video, but I can't get sound working now.

    Frankly, I'm suspecting I'm going to just salvage the tuner cards,
    hard drive, memory I purchased, and move on viewing this as moderately
    expensive lesson in buying things 'as is'.

    ChicagoDave, Apr 1, 2009
  7. ChicagoDave

    Paul Guest

    Nvidia had an underfill problem with their GPUS.
    The failure of your HDMI, could be related to a chip failure.
    You'd have to trace down the Nvidia component, to see whether
    it is one of the affected ones.

    http://legacy.macnn.com/print/60132
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-10119277-64.html

    So what you're seeing, might not be an "ordinary" electrical
    failure of some HDMI signals. It could be a connection
    failure at the GPU.

    Paul

    Paul, Apr 1, 2009
  8. ChicagoDave

    Paul Guest

    Download directory.

    ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/asus/DigitalHome/DAV/A33/

    User manual (as far as I know, only a Chinese manual is available).

    ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/asus/DigitalHome/DAV/A33/Traditional_Chinese_Manual.zip

    See PDF page 32, for a picture of the control panel to enable
    audio over HDMI. I can't read Chinese, so I can't help you more than
    that.

    Paul

    Paul, Oct 30, 2009
  9. I just bought 3 of these units for a project i am working on.
    i have all the drivers installed under Win 7 ultimate 64bit.
    only thing that does not work is TFT AND FRONT CONTROLS.
    The display was showing until i tried installing th
    ASeries_V1030_V10507 update.
    It said something about updating then turned off. have not been able t
    power on since.

    hope someone can help even though this thread is old

    beeniemna4355, Nov 5, 2011
  10. ChicagoDave

    Paul Guest

    I have:

    1) Only manual is Chinese. Useless to me, at least.
    2) No picture of motherboard available.
    No picture of TFT assembly.
    3) VID/PID numbers in driver are not documented.
    Components could be made by Asmedia (affiliate of Asus), but
    there isn't even a guarantee they acknowledge the components exist.
    They can hide stuff they only sell to Asus.

    That leaves:

    1) Open box.
    2) Discover "parallel controls". Find a way to activate
    power, without the TFT/FP assembly doing it.
    3) Once powered up, either roll back the driver in Device Manager,
    or use Add/Remove programs or something similar.

    This is purely a guess, because I have zero chip info to go on.

    A normal motherboard has active low PWR# and RST# signals. The
    FPANEL header on a regular motherboard, has two pairs of adjacent pins,
    which would be PWR#,GND and RST#,GND. Sometimes, there is a printed
    color code legend on the motherboard surface, next to the pins,
    to give you a hint.

    The TFT/FP assembly will connect in parallel with control signals
    like that. PWR# and RST# use open collector signals. You can safely
    short to ground, open collector logic.

    You could check the motherboard for an "FPANEL" or "Front Panel" header.
    Anywhere from a 2x4 to a 2x10 header, with appropriate silk screen label.

    Using a screwdriver tip, short PWR# to adjacent GND, and see if the unit
    starts. Contact need only be momentary - you don't have to hold the
    screwdriver to the pins forever. A small touch then release, should
    start it. My assumption here, is the unit can be safely started, with the
    upper lid of the casing removed.

    As a general rule, usually the FPANEL pinout is set up in such a way,
    that shorting adjacent pins will do no harm. If all else fails, clearing
    CMOS doesn't help or the like, then you can just slide a screwdriver tip
    along both sides of the FPANEL header, and see if the unit activates. I
    don't think I've seen GND and +5V on such a header, positioned in such
    a way that a screwdriver tip can short them together. If you don't like the
    sound of that plan, a safer alternative, is to purchase a 100 ohm 1/2 watt
    resistor, two lengths of wire, and make a "shorting strap" with that. The purpose
    of selecting 100 ohms, is so if you did encounter adjacent +5V and GND pins,
    a huge amount of current would not flow. That would be a bit safer than a
    screwdriver tip, but a nuisance to build up. The idea is, 100 ohms would be
    close enough to a short, to trigger startup, without encouraging dangerous
    current flow if you accidentally contact a +5V and a GND pin while testing.

    A strap suitable for testing FPANEL, would look like one of these, only
    with a 100 ohm resistor spliced inline, in the center of the wire.
    Cut the wire in half, then connect the 100 ohm resistor in series with
    the two cut ends. That makes a 100 ohm grounding strap, for testing
    whether the pins are suitable for parallel startup. I make these with
    wire, shrink wrap, the old Molex socket pins, and a soldering iron,
    which is a lot of effort to make a safer assembly (than using a screwdriver
    tip to short stuff).

    http://rocky.digikey.com/weblib/TPI/Web Photo/NCGROUND.jpg

    If anyone else is curious about the driver, the file is here.

    http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/DigitalHome/DAV/A33/ASeries_V1030_V10507.zip

    *******

    One other question for you. Have you turned off the unit, unplugged it and
    let it sit for a few minutes ? Then, plug in and try again ? Maybe all it
    needs is to be power cycled ? That's less work than unplugging and taking
    the lid off for a look.

    Good luck,
    Paul

    Paul, Nov 5, 2011
  11. Hello to you A33 owners,

    please excuse me for stumbling upon this, but it is very difficult to find indepth information concerning this setup.
    I'm using a MSI motherboard with a 5.1 audio amplifier add-in card from D2Audio which has been discontinued. I do like this concept and was looking for something similar when I found out about the A33 DAV. Now I would like toknow how the amp card is connected to the board. Everything I came up withsuggests it is USB only with an added power connector from the PSU, probably. Most important the D2Audio chip seems to be located on the card itself,as opposed to the MSI where it is on the motherboard.
    I do hope now that the Asus card might work with any other motherboard as well, so I would like to ask you for your opinion.

    Thank you and kind regards,
    Ed

    edgar.lieblich, Jan 23, 2012