ASUS A78NX, Is there a better gaming motherboard out there?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Zim, Dec 5, 2003.

  1. Zim

    Zim Guest

    Hi all, I've had this MB for almost a year, and I am trying to upgrade
    the memory.

    A78NX Deluxe PCB ver 1.04 BIOS 1.07
    ASUS V9280 (GeForce 4) graphics
    AMD Athlon XP2200+
    Windows ME
    Windows and all drivers as current as I can make them!

    It ran fine all year on Mwave's generic PC2100 memory, 2 sticks of
    256MB, until recently. Started having crashes and graphics problems
    which turned out to be one of the old sticks of memory. I verified the
    bad memory stick with a second computer.

    Bought a Corsair 1GB kit, 2 matched sticks of PC3200 (value series).
    The machine runs fine on one stick of memory at the default settings
    in BIOS, and I can even tweak that up a little with no problems. It
    runs just as well with one of the sticks in any of the 3 slots, but
    every time I put in the second stick of memory, in any combination of
    slots, the comp locks up before booting into windows.

    I'm going to try some Corsair TwinX memory, but I'm not optimistic
    about them working either after reading lots of other folks having
    problems with this board and especially when trying to run in dual
    channel mode with the memory.

    I'd appreciate any suggestions or ideas, but I'd also like to hear
    from folks who are happy with their motherboards and trouble free
    upgrades to them.

    I've been pretty happy with ASUS in the past, but it seems like I'm
    seeing a lot more gripes posted about this particular MB than I would
    have expected.

    Thanks,
    BZ

    Zim, Dec 5, 2003

  2. Zim

    D R Tester Guest

    It sounds as though one of the two sticks of ram you have is defective.
    Either this or there is a problem with the mobo.

    Dom

    D R Tester, Dec 6, 2003

  3. Zim

    Marc Guest

    I have three of these motherboards and have found them to be picky
    about memory. I talked to the Crucial people about this and they said
    they had to come out with a new dimm because of this. I was having
    the crashing sorts of problems you describe until I got memory that
    was certified for the A7n8x. Crucial was nice enough to exchange the
    memory for me. Then my MB ran stable as a rock. I have two Crucial
    512 2700's in mine right now.

    Good memory may not be the right memory.

    Marc, Dec 7, 2003
  4. Zim

    Ben Pope Guest

    I've got TwinX1024-3200LL and it works a dream.

    Trouble free here. Not sure what the problem could be with yours, I've
    heard of problems with CAS3 on the nForce2 and wonder what the Corsair value
    ram is running at.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Dec 7, 2003
  5. Zim

    Kyle Brant Guest

    I have a pc2100 and pc2700 256 meg stick from Crucial in my board,
    running at 170 Mhz FSB w/o problem, and both sticks are standard
    Crucial issue, nothing custom for my setup, in an A7N8X-Deluxe.
    Settings: 7-3-3-3 CL=2.5.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle

    Kyle Brant, Dec 8, 2003
  6. Zim

    Roly Guest

    I've built five of these now and a couple of ...x-x's. No problems at
    all.

    If you use Crucials' Memory selector correctly and buy memory to match
    the mainboard, then Crucial would not have to be 'nice enough to
    exchange...' - it would either work or they would change it - no
    quibble!

    Andy.

    Roly, Dec 9, 2003