ASUS A7N8X and Power supply selection

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Steve Wolfe, Jul 20, 2003.

  1. Steve Wolfe

    Steve Wolfe Guest

    Hello All,

    I currently have an AMD Athlon XP 2000+ (Palimino core) on an MSI
    K7T-Turbo2 board and I'd like to upgrade to the ASUS A7N8X Deluxe
    (hope this one is as good as my P/I-P55T2P4 was....) with 1 gig of
    memory comprised of 2x512 Corsair XMS PC3200C2PT RAM. I was hoping to
    get information on 2 things:

    1) My current system uses a Sparkle 350 Watt power supply and runs
    rock stable. This ps does NOT have the extra ATX 12V connector. Will I
    be able to continue to use this power supply with the ASUS A7N8X
    Deluxe and say a 2800+ Barton core cpu?

    2) Can you use Palimino core cpu's on this ASUS A7N8X Deluxe? If so,
    does anyone believe I'll see a good speed boost using my existing
    2000+ and switching from PC133 RAM (896 meg) to the Dual channel DDR
    400 (1024 meg)?

    Thanks for any help!

    Steve

    Steve Wolfe, Jul 20, 2003

  2. Steve Wolfe

    Kirby Crosby Guest

    your 350 watt ps may be a little bit light , there is only one way to find
    out.
    You do not state any other system specs (vid card # of drives etc) this will
    help determine your needs as well.
    The A7N8X does not have the extra connector for 12 volt lines so that is not
    an issue.
    The palomino core cpus are compatible and, yes you should see a considerable
    increase in performance just from switching to DDR from PC133.

    good luck!

    Kirby Crosby, Jul 20, 2003

  3. your 350 watt ps may be a little bit light , there is only one way to find
    That's what I thought, but I'm running one A7N8X on an Antec PP303X 300W
    supply, and it runs fine with only one CD-R, one hard drive, and one floppy.
    True...and it's one of the few nForce2 boards that does not need that
    connector.
    True...

    JonnyCab®, Jul 20, 2003