Asus A7N8X-ED better than Gigabyte 7N400 Pro2?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Sue, Feb 23, 2004.

  1. Sue

    Sue Guest

    Am choosing a socket-A motherboard for a new PC.

    I want to use it for "power surfing" and "power home use" but I do not
    need it for gaming, overclocking, video editing or any of that stuff.

    I am very tempted by the Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe but I will need to have
    more than four IDE devices attaches and so will have to use a Promise
    card. This pushes the price up quite significantly.

    So as an alternative I am considering the Gigabyte 7N400 Pro2 which I
    believe supports eight IDE devices.

    Are there any other factors which i should be aware of when comparing
    these two boards? I am particularly interested in STABILITY,
    RELIABILITY, COMPATIBILITY and EASE OF USE.

    Also I am on a budget so i can't spend without limit!

    I would welcome any views on how these two boards compare.

    Sue, Feb 23, 2004

  2. Sue

    Courseyauto Guest

    Am choosing a socket-A motherboard for a new PC.

    I want to use it for "power surfing" and "power home use" but I do not
    need it for gaming, overclocking, video editing or any of that stuff.

    I am very tempted by the Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe but I will need to have
    more than four IDE devices attaches and so will have to use a Promise
    card. This pushes the price up quite significantly.

    So as an alternative I am considering the Gigabyte 7N400 Pro2 which I
    believe supports eight IDE devices.

    Are there any other factors which i should be aware of when comparing
    these two boards? I am particularly interested in STABILITY,
    RELIABILITY, COMPATIBILITY and EASE OF USE.

    Also I am on a budget so i can't spend without limit!

    I would welcome any views on how these two boards compare.

    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

    They dont get any better than the Gigabyte 7N400 pro,they arent the best
    overclockers but are very stable an have a lot of features.
    DOUG

    Courseyauto, Feb 23, 2004

  3. Sue

    Donkeyman Guest

    If you are looking for stability and reliability I recommend you the
    Gigabyte. I have used for about 6 months now and untill now I haven't seen a
    single blue screen. It's very very fast and in case of trouble with the bios
    you can always switch to the bios, because there is spare one built in.
    Kind greetings, Bob

    Donkeyman, Feb 23, 2004
  4. Sue

    DreamMaker Guest

    I( have read that some gabyte mobo had some probleme wuth there
    capacitor, the ga-7n400 p2 would be a good choice but cant tell
    anything about it.

    The asus board stand for stability and it as the nf2 (as well as the
    ga) chip for video fiture, memory controler, ide controller... and
    sound...

    Ho! what program are you gone a use with 8 drive?
    Just buy your self 2 15K scsi drive put it in raid mode and voila.
    same price as 8 drive ide... maybe less

    DreamMaker, Feb 23, 2004
  5. Sue

    jpsga Guest

    The GA7N400-Pro 2 allows 4 EIDE devices up to ATA133. It has 2 parallel RAID
    ports that will allow 4 drives and a pair of serial connectors the allow one
    each serial drives.
    If your looking for 'power home use' which means speed. The serial ports
    (RAID 0) should be use as the C: or the boot drive.
    The parallel RAID ports in a RAID 0 is great for general storage.
    The EIDE are left for optical CD-RAW and DVD players.

    'power surfing ' is more a matter of your connection. If your on Cable or
    ADSL the on board NICK is very capable.

    The built in sound can go about any way you want it.

    This is great board.

    JPS

    ..

    jpsga, Feb 24, 2004
  6. Sue

    Sue Guest

    I have a lot of image data on sevearl large parallel IDE drives and
    would like to have this available when I use the PC. I don't want to
    buy any new drives because I can't afford them so, sadly, SATA and
    SCSI are not options for me.

    -- snip--
    I have only ever owned an MSI board. I found their website, their
    BIOS flashes and their tech support forums to be very disapointing.
    Also the board sems to have had a probem with the power supply chip
    and my board failed for probably that reason.

    I have been told that the Asus A7N8X-ED is a very board. Not just for
    use by overclockers but also for stabilty, reliability, compatability
    and that sort f thing. Also lots of people seem to know about Asus
    boards and can help out.

    Is all this also true of the Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro2?

    I have not really heard much about Gigabyte but you seem to speak of
    them very highly. Do other people share the same view as you.

    I would like to hear from anyone about this.

    Thank you!

    Sue, Feb 24, 2004
  7. Sue

    Sue Guest

    Bob, I am pleased you think the GA-7N400 is a reliable board but is
    six months long enough to give the mainboard all the hammering you
    might ever give it?

    Thanks for any more anfo from anyone!

    Sue, Feb 24, 2004
  8. Sue

    DreamMaker Guest

    I have a lot of image data on sevearl large parallel IDE drives and

    then a good old dimondmax 9 plus 200gigs would do the thing..
    model number: 6Y200M0
    actual cylinder 395,136
    Maximum cilynder 16,383
    heads 16
    Sectors 63
    size 200.0 GB
    speed 7200 RPM
    i thing the mo at the end of the model number stnd for the 8 megs of
    buffer...

    There stuff cost about nothing and that whats is give you...
    Here's what i've find in a auther group on gybabyte mobo. it'a problem
    of noise that come for the capacitor i would say. what it those is a
    buzzing noise that come very anoying on long terme...

    Hi to all, I bought this Motherboard (GA-7N400-L) 1 month ago... When
    i turn on the pc and particularly when I launch a graphic tool or 3d
    game, I can hear a noise that comes (i think) from the upper left
    corner of the motherboard, between Cpu and external connectors... this
    noise is very tedious, it buzzes like something frying...

    I'm sure that the noise does not come from the hard disk the Power
    Supply (i changed it twice) and from the cpu and case fans!!!

    I hope in your soon answer...
    thx a lot, sandrino

    answer from: coco
    hi
    i have a ga-7n400 pro2 (more or less the same as you) and i have the
    the hissing noise too! the noise comes from the fans, mostly from the
    chipset fan (you may not have any). i put a fanbus with better
    filtering to the fans and now there is only a faint hissing to hear if
    you put the ear to the backside.

    i think there is switching ripples on the fanheads. swapping psu do
    not help.

    coco

    So there is two gigabyte board from the frame factory that as the
    particular noisy sound.

    at the end of this the resulting problem would be a leak or melting
    capacitor or a capacitor blow-up

    but hey this is all from whats people have sayd and experience, so i
    havent try these boards my self .... and probably wont try these....

    but if you do i would love to know if it does the same thing, the
    buzzing sound....

    Maybe it those that because of a big cpu or a big video vard that suck
    a lot of juice...

    anyway

    cia..

    DreamMaker, Feb 24, 2004