ASUS A7N8X SATA data corruption - Silicon Image 3112 - Serial ATA- BSOD

Discussion in 'Asus' started by =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Se=F1or_Apellido?=, Jun 23, 2003.

  1. Hardware: ASUS A7N8X Motherboard (1004 Bios), Seagate 80GB SATA Hard
    Drive, high quality ram, case, ps.

    OS: Windows XP Pro (1.0.0.22 SiI3112A SATA drivers)

    Problem: Hard drive data corruption (NTFS boot drive).

    Symptoms: Windows XP Pro reboots during bootup sequence. Drive will
    cause any computer that attempts to read from partition to crash.
    Recovery Console BSOD with a STOP 0x00000024.

    My Theory: Bad SATA drivers or bad SATA controller (SiI3112A).

    Solution: Swap motherboard and SATA drive with IDE drive. The
    motherboard (except for SATA drivers) might have been fine, but ASUS
    does not provide enough information to determine this.

    Notes: Corrupt (primary) partition was lost. Seagate's bootable utility
    cd exits to a DOS prompt after loading SATA drivers, so you can delete
    the bad partition using fdisk. Do not try to get partition information
    of bad parition using fdisk (http://www.23cc.com/free-fdisk/). After
    bad partition was deleted, drive was recognized and accessible as a
    second disk.

    NTFSDOS can be used to access an NTFS partition from DOS
    (http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/NTFSDOS.shtml).

    Conclusion: This is the first problem I have had with ASUS, and I might
    buy another motherboard from them. I would never purchase another
    product that includes hardware or software from Silicon Image.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Se=F1or_Apellido?=, Jun 23, 2003

  2. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Se=F1or_Apellido?=

    koop Guest

    Sorry, I cannot help with your problem but I wanted to thank you for the
    NTFSDOS link, I am going to find it incredibly useful. For what is it worth
    Tom's Hardware benchmarked the SiI3112A as the fastest SATA controller out
    there, of course that is no comment on their mass production QA process...Do
    you know for sure it is not a bum drive?

    Good Luck,

    Koop

    --
    http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=905761
    XP 2500+ @ 11.5*200

    koop, Jun 24, 2003

  3. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Se=F1or_Apellido?=

    Dave Melvin Guest

    Upgrade to the latest BIOS and Sil driver (1.0.0.281) and the problem has
    disappeared. I had this issue with Maxtor drives with SATA/IDE adapters,
    switched to Seagate 120 SATA drives, upgraded the BIOS/Driver and all works
    fine now running RAID.

    Dave Melvin

    Dave Melvin, Jun 24, 2003
  4. I should add: do not use the 100281 drivers, they give very poor write
    speeds.

    Mike Bernstein, Jun 24, 2003
  5. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Se=F1or_Apellido?=

    Nom Guest

    Do *NOT* install the .281 driver. It cripples your write speed, and you need
    to MANUALLY remove it, in order to change to a different version.

    It was released as a temporary fix for the corruption-issue, but there's now
    no need for it - the corruption issue is sorted with the latest BIOS.

    http://web.newsguy.com/nomnet/silicon_v10029.zip is the driver you should be
    using.

    Nom, Jun 24, 2003
  6. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Se=F1or_Apellido?=

    Nom Guest

    Seconded.

    Nom, Jun 24, 2003
  7. For what it's worth, Silicon Image claims that the problem is with the
    ASUS BIOS. I should not have been able to purchase a new motherboard
    with a known bug this severe. Maybe it is time to switch to a Mac...I
    just want my f**king hardware to work!

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Se=F1or_Apellido?=, Jun 25, 2003
  8. Other than the corrupted partition, why is it necessary to reformat all
    drives?

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Se=F1or_Apellido?=, Jun 25, 2003
  9. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Se=F1or_Apellido?=

    Nom Guest

    Because you need to remove the corruption that's already present.
    If you want to miss out this step, then go ahead. But it's likely you'll run
    into problems later.

    Nom, Jun 25, 2003
  10. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Se=F1or_Apellido?=

    Nom Guest

    It is, and the latest BIOS fixes it.
    Er, the bug is fixed.

    Nom, Jun 25, 2003
  11. The corruption didn't crash the system until two weeks ago. The latest
    BIOS wasn't available when I purchased the motherboard almost a month ago.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Se=F1or_Apellido?=, Jun 25, 2003
  12. I replaced the drive, so I should have that covered. I was just
    wondering if you knew any specifics about the corruption.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Se=F1or_Apellido?=, Jun 25, 2003
  13. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Se=F1or_Apellido?=

    Nom Guest

    Same situation here.
    But now the problem is fixed, so don't worry about it :)

    Nom, Jun 26, 2003
  14. I wish I could. I think I suffer from POST traumatic stress disorder.
    Hardy har har :)

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Se=F1or_Apellido?=, Jun 30, 2003