Asus A7V + Athlon TB 1400 C

Discussion in 'AMD Thunderbird' started by Florian Auer, Sep 4, 2003.

  1. Florian Auer

    Florian Auer Guest

    Hello,

    a few days ago, I got an AMD Athlon Thunderbird-CPU with 1,4 GHz from the
    "C"-Series. Now I want to run this CPU in my good old Asus A7V with
    KT133-chipset. I know, the CPU is FSB 133 and the set is FSB 100. But with a
    BIOS-Update it should not be a problem to run a 1400 MHz-CPU at 14 x 100
    MHz. When I set up the CPU frequency through the dip switches on the board,
    the 5x multiplier stands for 14x.

    My CPU is "unlocked" by factory default. This means I can set the multiplier
    to whatever I want, it is not predefined fixly. So, it should be able to run
    the "C"-CPU with 14 x 100 MHz. Unfortunately this isn't possible with the
    Asus A7V. This board wants a fix 14x multiplier setting to run with 14 x 100
    MHz. I tried to set the multiplier dip switches to 5x since this stands for
    14x. But I get no signal. No system beep, no VGA signal. I don't believe
    that this depends on an impossible setup of the dip switches. I believe that
    the board simply doesn't like the setting because there's no fix multiplier
    in the CPU.

    So, i think that it should be possible to get the board running the CPU at
    14 x 100 with some little modifications on the CPU and/or on the board.

    I'm pleased about any helpful and informative answers from experienced
    people.

    Regards,
    F. Auer

    Florian Auer, Sep 4, 2003

  2. Florian Auer

    Wes Newell Guest

    In order of what I do/try.

    1) I'd dump the 1400 and get a 2100+ Tbred B core or 2400+. It will
    run up to 2400MHz in that board.

    If stuck with the 1400;
    2) Assuming you can raise the FSB to 112, set the multiplier to 12.5x 112
    for 1400MHz. (I can get 116MHz out of my KT133 cipset)

    I think those are about your only choices. I don't think it has a valid14x
    multiplier, but I'm not real familiar with the 1400 tbird.

    See link below for info on the KT133 chipset.

    Wes Newell, Sep 4, 2003

  3. Florian Auer

    Florian Auer Guest

    Hello,

    thanks for your answer! I'm really surprised someone got faster CPUs running
    in KT133-boards. I found out that CPUs with >13X-multiplier have another 5th
    bit set which tells something that there is a multiplier >13X. My CPU has a
    10.5X-multiplier, so this bit isn't set. But I think there must be any
    method to set this bit.

    Regards,
    F. Auer

    Florian Auer, Sep 5, 2003
  4. Florian Auer

    S.Heenan Guest

    http://a7vtroubleshooting.com/
    www.conram.com

    Both sites are good resources for owners of the A7V.

    S.Heenan, Sep 5, 2003