    i've had the problem before, but at dissapeared. Now it's back

    Any ideas ?

    regards Morten

    jam rock, Feb 3, 2004

  2. jam rock

    DaveW Guest

    It sounds like either your power supply or your motherboard isfailing. The
    easiest thing to check first is to replace the power supply with a known
    good one of adequate wattage.

    DaveW, Feb 4, 2004

  3. jam rock

    Joe101 Guest

    Here are some things to try:

    0) Stuck key on keyboard?
    1) If you have a voltmeter, check voltages at the motherboard power
    connector,
    or when it does boot, [Del) to BIOS and read voltages with hardware monitor
    or load ASUS PC Probe software to see voltages,
    remember voltages my be ok, but my have ripple (bad filter capacitor) that
    can not be seen without an oscilloscope,
    so as last resort replace PSU.
    2) Pull out all PCI cards, and go to one memory DIMM (if you have more than
    one).
    3) Eliminate things....If you have an old PCI video card, remove your AGP
    and try with PCI video card.
    4) Re-seat your memory, reseat your Athlon CPU, check for loose jumpers,
    flip all dip switches several times, carefully setting them back.
    5) with canned air blow off your motherboard, if metallic particle between
    pins you might make it worse by impacting it, best to remove mobo hold it on
    edge and tap it lightly (on workbench) on all 4 axis, then lightly blow with
    canned air, easy with the air on DIMM and PCI connectors....pins will start
    oscillating and break off.

    Please post your results to group so we can all share.

    Joe101, Feb 4, 2004
  4. jam rock

    Joe101 Guest

    One more thing. The number of beeps have significance.
    1 beep = normal
    continuous beep or repeating short beeps = power supply
    one long and one short = system board
    there are other codes , but I can't remember

    Joe101, Feb 4, 2004
  5. jam rock

    sigmun Guest

    Problems with memory, PSU or CPU can cause the same symptoms.

    1)

    The first thing to check is the memory, if the memory sticks are correctly
    installed and in good shape without errors, you may test your memory with :

    http://www.memtest86.com/

    or

    http://www.docmemory.com/

    2) Look your CPU, is it overheated ? is the fan working correctly ? is it
    correctly settled into the socket ?

    3) Is your PSU delivering the right power ? must be replaced ? do you
    encounter Random Shutdowns and Reboots without explanation ?

    sigmun, Feb 4, 2004