ASUS A7V133 Boot Fail (long, short, short beep code)

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Brent L. Harritt, Nov 23, 2003.

  1. After running for more than 3 years without a problem, my PC now fails to
    boot with a long, short, short POST beep codes (which indicates a video card
    or motherboard problem). After one or more (some times many more) power
    offs and on, the system will start in the "safe" mode of the BIOS setup. If
    I set the FSB from 1000 back to 950, I can now start and run the PC, until
    the next time I power off the system. Then the cycle repeats. I am running
    the following hardware:

    ASUS A7V133 Motherboard with 256M 133 ram
    Athlon 1 GHz CPU
    ATI All-In-Wonder Pro (Rage Fury) Video Card

    I have run the ASUS Probe and ATI Diagnostic software and they report no
    problems. I also replaced the BIOS on-board battery. Also, I noted shortly
    before the boot issues, that I had some very faint diagonal lines on the
    video display, so this may be related. The problem is probably in the
    motherboard, video card, or power supply, but I don't want to run out and
    buy one piece, only to find it does not fix the problem, then buy another
    new piece, only to find it also fails to fix the problem. Can anyone offer
    some suggestions to try and isolate the problem component. If not, I will
    probably use this as an excuse to upgrade the motherboard, CPU, RAM, video
    card and case/powersupply.

    TIA,
    Brent

    Brent L. Harritt, Nov 23, 2003

  2. Brent L. Harritt

    Rob Guest

    You mentioned changing the CMOS battery but did you also clear the CMOS
    according to your manual? I've had some of these same symptoms solved
    by clearing a corrupted CMOS.

    Rob

    Rob, Nov 23, 2003

  3. Brent L. Harritt

    Paul Guest

    Does your BIOS have a hardware monitor page ? That is the one that
    shows the power supply voltages. Check to see if the voltages are off.
    The normal allowed range is about +/-5% or so, but a larger variation
    can be tolerated without crashing. If one of the voltages is way off,
    then a new power supply is in order.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Nov 23, 2003
  4. Thanks for the tip Paul. According to ASUS probe my +12V is at 12.8V and my
    +3.3V is at 3.536, both a little high, so it looks like I will be in the
    market for a new power supply.

    Brent L. Harritt, Nov 25, 2003
  5. Brent L. Harritt

    -DraconuS- Guest

    Hi

    I would not be so sure about the PSU failure.
    Look at the mobo at VIO jumper setting - it's probably set to give 3,5V
    (default) instead of standard 3,33V.
    12V should range from 11.4-12.6V but check it with some low current
    multimeter (instead of software) from 4pin power connector (like for hdd and
    cd-rom).
    Although, if your PSU is really old, weak or not-good-quality try a new
    appropriate PSU.

    -DraconuS-, Nov 25, 2003
  6. Brent L. Harritt

    Paul Guest

    I was thinking if the voltages were on the low side, that might be
    causing the lines on the video. Since there is plenty of voltage
    there (or at least the voltage monitor chip thinks there is), I would
    try swapping the video card first (as you mentioned the lines on it).

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Nov 26, 2003