    the FSB to 333 MHz. Is there a place in the BIOS or what is the correct
    jumper configuration to enable the 333 MHz FSB? Any help is
    appreciated. Thank you in advance.

    ITAnnaJones, Jan 16, 2007

  2. ITAnnaJones

    Paul Guest

    http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/...px?type=1&name=A7V333&SLanguage=en-us&cache=1

    There were a couple revisions of motherboard, AFAIK. Revision 2 was made
    by placing a sticker on the PCB, that indicates the new revision. I think
    a different stepping of Northbridge chip is used. The motherboard box
    for the Revision 2 also had a sticker affixed to the outside of the box,
    announcing support for FSB333. So you might want to check that first
    (that you have Rev 2).

    According to this, the clock to the processor can be set with the
    dipswitch on the motherboard. When the motherboard is in jumperfree
    mode, then the BIOS menu should perform the same function, but
    with finer control over the frequency used. If one of the
    "exact" CPU frequencies are used, the correct divider should be selected
    for the PCI bus, meaning the PCI bus will run at 33MHz. So you could
    set 166MHz via the dip switch, or via the BIOS menu. Since 166 is a multiple
    of 33Mhz, the PCI bus frequency used should be 33Mhz exactly. In the BIOS, look
    for "CPU Speed" [Manual] and go from there (as long as you're in
    JumperFree mode of course).

    (site likes to use popup adverts etc.)
    http://www.lostcircuits.com/motherboard/asus_a7v333/6.shtml

    (PDF page 31) Set the three pin JEN header for the mode you want to
    use. For Jumperfree operation, set JEN to pins 2 and 3, and remember
    to switch all six dip switches to the OFF position. When in the OFF
    position, that allows some GPIO (general purpose I/O) signals to
    override the function of the switches. Generally speaking, for
    Jumperfree, you don't want the logic signals fighting with switches
    or jumpers (whether it could happen, depends on the design). Some
    boards prevent permanent damage, by using a hierarchy of resistor
    strength, so one control method is 10x more powerful than the next,
    and safely overrides it.

    http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socka/kt333/a7v333/e1010_a7v333.pdf

    If you prefer to use the dip switch to set the clock, then JEN to 1-2,
    and then select the frequency with the dip switch.

    For FSB333, you want a 166Mhz clock. According to the manual, that
    is ON-ON-Off-Off-Off-Off for the dip switch. The Athlon FSB is a
    DDR thing, and the clock is multiplied by 2 to get the FSB.
    A 166Mhz clock gives FSB333 front side bus transfer rate.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Jan 16, 2007