    for Windows XP(WHQL) as the latest Win XP driver.

    I don't want to install this without knowing what I already have.

    Thanks for your help.

    Oldtimer, Aug 6, 2006

  2. Oldtimer

    Mark A Guest

    Since your motherboard had bios 1010 installed at the factory, then I
    believe Asus would have had to supply the V6.65 on the Support CD supplied
    with the motherboard.

    From the Asus support site:

    "A8N-E Bios version 1010 -Please do read the description before updating
    BIOS.
    To avoid crashing file system, please do update the chipset driver to below
    version prior to this Bios.
    For WinXP 32bit system, please download and update chipset drivers V6.65 or
    later."

    The latest drivers from Nvidia are here (Win 2000 or XP 32 bit):
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_nf4_win2k_6.86.html

    The driver release number is actually for a collection of individual drivers
    for audio, Ethernet, SATA, SMBus, etc, each with its own release level (see
    link above). You can check the release level of your individual drivers
    already installed using the Hardware Device Manager in Windows.

    Mark A, Aug 6, 2006

  3. Oldtimer

    Frodo Guest

    Frodo, Aug 6, 2006
  4. Oldtimer

    Oldtimer Guest

    Good thinking. I looked at the CD and found a FileList.txt which
    listed the versions for all the drivers. It said that the Chipset
    drivers on the CD are version V6.69 for Windows XP(WHQL). So I assume
    that's what I installed.
    I looked in Device Manager several times and didn't see anything that
    looks like chipset driver. I'd feel much better if I could find it,
    to be sure.

    Oldtimer, Aug 7, 2006
  5. Oldtimer

    Oldtimer Guest

    Thanks. I already have the 1013 BIOS. But before I used it I wanted
    to be sure I had version 6.65 or higher chipset driver.

    I found a Filelist.txt on the support CD that said version 6.69
    chipset driver was included. I'd like to confirm that before I
    proceed.

    Oldtimer, Aug 7, 2006
  6. !!!!!!!>>The driver release number is actually for a collection of
    individual drivers
    !!!!!!!>>for audio, Ethernet, SATA, SMBus, etc, each with its own release
    level (see
    !!!!!!!>>link above). You can check the release level of your individual
    drivers
    !!!!!!!>>already installed using the Hardware Device Manager in Windows.
    Well, you won't find the"chipset drivers". As marked by my !!!!!!!s above.
    Then compare them with a list (like that Filelsit.txt) either in the chipset
    driver package itself or available at nVidia...

    Like this (actually your download page)
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_nf4_win2k_6.86.html

    Lists Windows XP/2000 Driver Versions
    Audio Driver (v4.65) "WHQL"
    Audio Utility (v4.51)
    Ethernet Driver (v50.25) "WHQL"
    Network Management Tools (v50.19)
    SMBus Driver (v4.57) "WHQL"
    Installer (v4.89)
    WinXP IDE SataRAID Driver (v6.66) "WHQL"
    WinXP IDE SataIDE Driver (v6.66) "WHQL"
    WinXP RAIDTOOL Application (v6.63)

    --
    Tumppi
    =================================

    Thomas Wendell, Aug 7, 2006
  7. Oldtimer

    Oldtimer Guest

    Thanks for the detail. I think I understand your point. Some of my
    confusion is that the Drivers Menu of the CD looks like this, with
    each item as a separate choice::

    Chipset Driver <---
    Audio Driver
    Ethernet Driver <---
    SMBus Driver <---
    (etc.)

    I selected the 3 marked "<---".

    The Filelist.txt file which lists the contents of the CD shows:

    "-Chipset -WINXP -nVidia Chipset(CK804) driver version V6.69 for
    Windows XP(WHQL)."

    Therefore, I would expect to find an entry somewhere with 6.69 shown
    as the version of the chipset driver.

    I guess another way to approach this is to ask if simply installing
    the same choices from the nVidia 6.86 package would be a good idea
    before I flash the BIOS with Ver. 1013?? Can these simply be
    installed without regard to what's installed now?

    Thanks for your patience.

    Oldtimer, Aug 7, 2006