Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe chipset fan - has Asus fixed it yet?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Jerry, May 20, 2006.

  1. Jerry

    Jerry Guest

    On the spur of the moment I bought the Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe motherboard
    at Fry's based on the recommendations of several people there and
    other customers who chimed in.

    As I started to search for user reviews, the #1 complaint was that the
    chipset fan often dies. If I have to spend an extra $35 or $50 for a 2
    year warranty at Fry's, I'll probably go for a different motherboard.

    My questions are these:

    - Has Asus finally fixed the chipset fan in more recent builds of the
    Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe or do all of them have this problem (meaning the
    boards found in stores today were built in early 2005)?
    - If the problem has been fixed, is there a way to tell if my mobo has
    the better chipset fan (such as by the serial number)?

    You'd think that after this much time Asus would fix the problem since
    it seems to be so well known. I'm sick of having dying fans on
    computer equipment, so if this is still an issue this mobo is going
    back. That's much easier than trying to install a new fan myself.

    Jerry, May 20, 2006

  2. Jerry

    RonK Guest

    There is only $30 difference in price between the Deluxe and Premium version
    of the A8N-SLI.

    The Premium uses a heatpipe instead of a fan. - Worth looking into.

    RonK, May 21, 2006

  3. Jerry

    Leadfoot Guest

    The heatpipe version should not be used in upside down ATX cases. Not many
    upside down cases but I have one and decided not to risk buying the premium.

    Leadfoot, May 21, 2006
  4. Jerry

    Natéag Guest

    I Agree fully with RonK.
    As far as Deluxe version is concerned,
    newer boards have a new fan.
    Wit an older board, Asus will send a
    replacement for free. But one has to
    install it. It usually requires one to
    remove the mainboard from the computer.

    Natéag, May 21, 2006
  5. Jerry

    pixelchew Guest

    I had the original fan which failed; the shop I'd bought the board from
    installed the newer version fan for me. But the newer fan failed too. I the
    got rid of the fan completely and installed a Zalman passive chipset cooler
    and have had no probs since.

    pixelchew, May 21, 2006
  6. Jerry

    Jerry Guest

    Newer A8N-SLI Deluxe boards have the new chipset fan? That's good
    news. Now my big question is this: how do I visually identify a new
    fan vs. an old one by looking at the motherboard or fan? Are there any
    closeup pictures of the old vs. new chipset fan or some date
    codes/serial number ranges to look for on the motherboard?

    Also, has anyone who bought a Deluxe board with the new chipset fan
    had the new chipset fan go out later?

    Jerry, May 21, 2006
  7. Jerry

    Paul Guest

    You can buy replacement fans from Asus here. Stock up and get
    three or four, if you are concerned about failures.

    http://estore.asus.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=231&catid=135

    You can also buy the heatpipe for a Premium, and fit that in
    place of the chipset cooler. The mounting is with push pins,
    and requires removing the board to do the replacement safely.
    Use a bit of thermal paste like some Ceramique when mounting.

    http://estore.asus.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=2535&catid=136

    As for the serial number on the side of the box, I think the
    scheme was - first digit = year, second digit/char = month.
    Second digit/char possible values are 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C.

    So 61x...x would be Jan.2006 production, and 5Cx...x would
    be Dec.2005. You might use that as an indicator of how fresh
    the stock is.

    Paul

    Paul, May 21, 2006
  8. Jerry

    Jerry Guest

    Thanks for the help. Using your decoding, my board is from November
    2005. I guess that's older than I'd like, but who knows how recent a
    board I could find anywhere else. It might be the best I can do.

    While I haven't seen a picture of the old chipset fan, my chipset fan
    looks like the one shown at:

    http://estore.asus.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=231&catid=135

    and it is mounted at an angle rather than square on the chip (which
    someone else said was a sign of the newer chipset fan). The board is
    rev. 1.02, if that means anything.

    I don't want to mess with replacing chipset fans because I could
    damage something. Since I now know I have the newer chipset fan, my
    only remaining question on this issue is:

    - Has anyone had the newer Asus chipset fan fail on them?

    If nobody has had the newer chipset fan fail, then I should be OK
    without a Fry's warranty.

    Jerry, May 22, 2006
  9. Jerry

    danger Guest

    Wrong pull the plastic pins out with a plier and the new ones push
    into the resultant holes. No mother board removal I have replaced two

    danger, May 22, 2006
  10. Jerry

    Mercury Guest

    If you want to remove all doubt and have a very quiet, efficient, and
    effective Southbridge (?) cooler fan then try the Swiftech MCX159-CU.

    I have been thrilled - in case you can't tell - with the one in my A8N-E
    system. If you were to use one then every option remains open to you - mobo
    orientation, CPU cooler type and so on.

    They say to check their web site for mobo compaitbility.

    HTH

    Mercury, May 25, 2006
  11. Jerry

    delpi767

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Asus won't fix fan -

    Ladies and Gents,

    It may be time to look at Gigabyte or some other MB manufacturer. Although Asus admits that the older chipset fan on the A8N is faulty they will not replace it unless the mb is under warranty.

    Read my email exchange with Asus below -

    Teresa,

    Thank you for informing my that my motherboard is out of warranty and that you will not replace then fan.

    In my opinion, this is not a warranty issue. Warranties generally protect one from a product that happens to be bad (a lemon). Most reputable companies replace any item that is poorly designed or has an unusually high failure rate regardless of the warranty period.

    I would like for you to know that I am very disappointed with Asus. On your website you even say that the original fan did not work properly.
    Also, there are numerous forums on the Internet that talk about the problem s with the AN8SLI chipset fan.

    I have already had one Asus motherboard fail because of a chipset fan that failed.

    I have probably built about 100 computers in the last ten years almost all of which used Asus motherboards. It now seems that you are having quality control issues and that I will have to use a different brand of motherboard in the future.

    I have just ordered two fans from your eStore.

    Please understand that it is not the cost of the fans that is an issue. My total charge, including shipping, is $22.00 which is insignificant. What is significant is that I have learned that I cannot rely on Asus to replace faulty products. I am unwilling to risk purchasing products from a company that doesn't stand behind the quality of their workmanship.

    This email is being copied to all of the other system builders with whom I work and will be copied to all system builder forums to which I belong.

    Sincerely,

    Dave Davis.

    delpi767, Oct 19, 2008