Asus A8N-SLI: Deluxe or Premium?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Anders Bang, Mar 13, 2006.

  1. Anders Bang

    Anders Bang Guest

    Hi,

    I am looking to get my dealer to replace my Asus A8V-E Deluxe board sitting
    in my HTPC due to problems with the USB ports. I am thinking of replacing it
    with one of the A8N-boards based on the nVidia-chipset since I have a bit
    more faith in them with regards to stability over the VIA-chipset.

    The most important features for me are:
    * SLI
    * Passively cooled chipset (maybe not out-of-the-box but using e.g. Zalman
    NG47J)
    * NICs support WOL
    * SATA RAID
    * AMD Cool & Quiet
    * Supports dual core CPUs

    Can anyone tell me what the differences are between the Deluxe and Premium
    editions (apart from the cool-pipe)?

    Regards
    Anders

    Anders Bang, Mar 13, 2006

  2. Anders Bang

    Bob Knowlden Guest

    Asus has a comparison tool at their website.

    http://dk.asus.com/products_compare.aspx?l1=3&l2=-1

    It looks like the main difference between the Deluxe and the Premium, over
    the heatpipe, is that the Premium has no SLI selector card. (It has
    additional circuitry that permits the switch to SLI to be controlled by BIOS
    settings.)

    The chipset cooler of the Premium is compatible with the Deluxe. In the US,
    it's available for $15 + $5 shipping:

    http://estore.asus.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=2535&catid=136

    (I'm running one on a vanilla A8N-SLI. It was easy enough to install with
    the mainboard out of the case.)

    Bob Knowlden, Mar 14, 2006