    Thank you in Advance

    Merci a l'Avance

    Martin

    Martin Racette, Dec 1, 2005

  2. Martin Racette

    dawg Guest

    Kinda confusing. You say you have the sata controller fill(filled?) and you
    want to add another drive? or another controller?
    I think you might want to check your BIOS settings.

    dawg, Dec 1, 2005

  3. I want to add another drive to the second controlor, and the BIOS setting all I
    have is enable or disable for the second controler

    --
    Thank you in Advance

    Merci a l'Avance

    Martin

    Martin Racette, Dec 1, 2005
  4. Martin Racette

    Transformers Guest

    I have a SATA RAID configuration. I use stripping which makes two HD's look
    like one and doubles the space. The other option is mirroring which just
    make the HD's look the same for backup purposes in case one of them fails.

    Transformers, Dec 1, 2005
  5. Martin Racette

    Paul Guest

    I still don't know if I understand your question. Yes, the Nvidia
    interface has some direct control in the BIOS. Remember that the
    Nvidia ports are part of the "chipset", and chipset interfaces
    get a "place of honor" in the main part of the BIOS.

    Add-in controllers, are separate chips. Each chip which is added
    to a motherboard, but is not part of the chipset, may have a
    body of code called the "Option ROM". This is added to the BIOS
    flash file, but is, in a sense, a separate piece of code. In
    your case, pressing F4 in the BIOS, gains access to the interface
    provided by the Option ROM code.

    That being said:

    1) In Onboard Devices, set "Silicon SATA Controller" [Enabled]
    It is set that way by default. Do a Save and Exit, to save
    the new setting. I think that is necessary to get the
    controller to appear on the PCI bus. If disabled, you might
    not be able to see the chip when using Everest Home Edition
    (lavalys.com).

    2a) The next time you start the BIOS, press <control-S> or
    press F4. The Silicon Image RAID BIOS screen should
    appear. See section 5.5.3 in the A8N-SLI Deluxe manual,
    for instructions on what to do next. Note - Use this
    interface, if you wish to set up a RAID array, or if
    you want to do JBOD.

    2b) If you want to use the disks separately, as IDE devices
    but not as RAID, don't bother entering the RAID BIOS. The
    consequences of doing this, AFAIK, is you cannot boot from
    that disk, but still use it for data.

    3) Install a driver. Now, there are drivers that claim to be
    IDE and drivers that claim to be RAID. My suspicion is,
    on your Asus board, you use the RAID driver for both
    RAID or vanilla IDE use, as the IDE version might not
    even install. There is no separate IDE driver for 3114 on
    this page (click Driver at top):

    http://support.asus.com/download/do...product=1&f_name=&type=Latest&SLanguage=en-us

    The large download size of the drivers on the Asus Support
    page, likely includes RAID Management software. In fact, the
    bare disk driver files, are tiny in size.

    If you go here (Silicon Image support)

    http://www.siliconimage.com/support/supportsearchresults.aspx?pid=28&cid=3&ctid=2&osid=4&

    and select the 1.2.3.1 RAID entry at the bottom, you get a
    tiny file.

    If you then examine Si3114r5.inf in that download, you can
    see entries like PCI\VEN_1095&DEV_3114&SUBSYS_81361043 .
    The 1043 is the Subsystem ID for Asus. I don't know how to
    decode the 8136 part - it could be per-motherboard or generic.
    In any case, the IDE download from the siliconimage.com site
    doesn't have a "1043" subsystem entry, so it should not even
    install on the Asus board (going to Device Manager and trying
    to update the driver with the IDE version, should in my
    estimation, fail).

    Anyway, I hope some of the above helps. I cannot figure out
    exactly what you want to do, but enabling the controller and
    installing a RAID driver, should solve most of your problem.
    You could press F4 key, when the BIOS starts, and set up a
    stripe (RAID 0) of two disks, or you can set up JBOD if you
    want to span two disks and make it look like one disk. Both
    options will give you 800GB of storage.

    Personally, I would run the disks as separate entities, as
    data recovery in the future might be easier (i.e. if you have
    no backups and like to live dangerously, without a backup).
    To operate the disks separately, install the driver, and then
    enter Disk Management in Windows and finish the installation
    process. I would hope to see two separate disks in that case.

    Page 18 through 38 of this Foxconn manual, gives some info
    on SIL3114. It says, if you want to run a disk separately
    and boot from that disk, specify JBOD. If you want to use
    a disk separately as a data only disk, then don't use the
    RAID menu to set up the disk. That is my interpretation of
    reading this manual (the contents of this manual should
    also be in the Manuals folder on your motherboard CD):

    http://www.foxconnchannel.com/pdf/925XE7AA-raid manual-EN-V1.0.pdf

    The only downside of using JBOD, might be that Windows
    prepares the disk as a Dynamic Disk. You should do further
    research to see if there are any disadvantages to using
    Dynamic Disk. I don't remember all the reasons Dynamic is
    bad, but if I find one of my drives is Dynamic in
    Disk Management, I strive to return it to Basic if I can.

    Just some guesses,
    Paul

    Paul, Dec 2, 2005
  6. Are you having any problems wiith our SATA RAID? And are you using
    a Nforce4 board?

    Im actually getting a bit paranoid now with claims of random data
    corruption.

    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Dec 2, 2005
  7. I'm having an Nforce4 motherboard, and on it I have an NvRAID controller and a
    SiliconImage RAID controller.

    My current setup is that I have 4 SATA HDD already plug-in to the NvRAID, and
    I'm attempting to connect an another one to the SiliconImage without creating a
    RAID with this one

    --
    Thank you in Advance

    Merci a l'Avance

    Martin

    Martin Racette, Dec 2, 2005
  8. Tell me, if either of of your HDD that use stripping fails, what happens to the
    data on the good one ?

    --
    Thank you in Advance

    Merci a l'Avance

    Martin

    Martin Racette, Dec 2, 2005
  9. The problem is that if I don't create a RAID on the SiliconImage controller, the
    computer does NOT boot at all.

    I don't understand why I should need to create a RAID, if I don't want or need

    All I want to do is to install a HDD on that controller and to be able to use
    it.

    As for the driver part, I have already installed those drivers when I first
    installed the motherboard to that computer.

    BTW. I think that RAID are just a better way to loose everything, since when
    someone want to just change the motherboard to upgrade the computer, one will
    loose all the data on those drive since the new RAID controller will undoubtably
    not be the same, and therefore will not be able to use whatever was on the
    disk(s) before

    --
    Thank you in Advance

    Merci a l'Avance

    Martin

    Martin Racette, Dec 2, 2005
  10. With a simple striped system you lose everything if one disk fails. There
    is an alternative called RAID 5 which adds a parity disk to a stripped
    system which allows you to reconstruct the data if one disk fails. The
    minimum number of disks for a RAID 5 system would be 3.

    General Schvantzkoph, Dec 3, 2005
  11. Martin Racette

    kony Guest

    Have you tried entering that controller's bios menu (hit a
    key just after the main module of the motherboard bios is
    finished), then defining the connected drive as a single
    drive span? That is the typical way to do it. It should
    then treat each drive as a single and be able to boot (at
    least till (windows?) the operating system gets to the point
    where it might need the driver installed but you mention the
    driver below.

    Don't define it as a stripe, that requires repartitioning
    and formatting the drive.

    You'd have to backup the data first, something that should
    be done regularly with a single drive and especially if
    there's a RAID0 array. If it's a RAID1 array you should be
    able to read the drive on a new controller.

    kony, Dec 3, 2005
  12. Martin Racette

    Paul Guest

    The Foxconn manual says use the JBOD option in the SIL3114 RAID
    BIOS, for disks that you want to boot from. But check Disk Management
    and see if the disks appear as Dynamic or Basic. I would try to set
    the disk to Basic if possible, in which case you will have achieved
    the objective of running separated disks, and having them bootable.

    Paul

    Paul, Dec 3, 2005
  13. You put the wrong SiliconImage driver on, there are two vers, one for
    Raid & one for IDE, look in your MB disc....

    Gary Colligan, Dec 21, 2005
  14. Martin Racette

    kony Guest

    RAID driver doesn't support single drives? If not, that'd
    be a first.

    kony, Dec 21, 2005