    AMD Athlon 64 4000+
    2GB Kingston PC3200 (DDR400)
    Gigabyte GVNX66128D GeForce 6600 PCIe

    GreggC, Jul 4, 2005

  2. GreggC

    Mark A Guest

    What kind of modem are you looking for:

    56 kbs analog
    Cable
    DSL
    etc

    I don't think you will find any of these in PCI-e configurations, since even
    the fastest modems are well with the bandwidth of PCI architecture.

    Mark A, Jul 4, 2005

  3. GreggC

    Ken' Guest

    It would be better to buy just 2 sticks of 1 gig memory rather that the 4
    sticks of 512.
    AMD on die memory controllers don't handle all 4 slots filled very well.
    Ken'

    Ken', Jul 4, 2005
  4. GreggC

    GreggC Guest

    Mark A - Good point, I hadn't really looked at it from that
    perspective. I'm looking for an analog modem to support the answering
    machine/fax software that I currently use. Needless to say this modem
    will have to have 64 bit drivers. I believe that Intel has released
    such drivers for modmes based on their 536EP chipset, but I'm not sure
    which modems use this chipset.

    Ken - Unfortunately I already have the system base (mobo, cpu and
    memory) I wasn't aware of AMDs shortcomings visa-vie four memory
    slots. Supposedly my supplier, JNCS.com, tests their products prior to
    shipping. If I do encounter any problems such as you suggest, I'l;l
    definitely go back to the supplier. I guess this one can never do
    enough research!

    GreggC, Jul 4, 2005
  5. GreggC

    RJT Guest

    Apart from that, chances are that with four dimms, you will only be able
    to run at a 2T timing, whereas 2x1GB will run at a comfortable 1T
    timing, which is quite a noticeable bit faster. I know the Deluxe has a
    problem running four dimms at 1T, I'm unsure whether the Premium suffers
    the same fate, though it seems likely to me.

    As for the 56k x64 modem drivers - I'd do some more research for that.
    Find the drivers, and you'll know which modem to buy.

    RJT

    RJT, Jul 4, 2005
  6. GreggC

    Ken' Guest

    I don't think the board has anything to do with that, as the memory
    controller in the CPU.
    The later AMD cpu's ( San Diego and Venice ) have a updated memory
    controller that doesn't have that problem.
    Ken'

    Ken', Jul 4, 2005
  7. GreggC

    rfdjr1 Guest

    Just saw this post. I'm getting ready, or at least was, to buy two more 512
    modules for my Intel4 based system on a P4C800 Deluxe motherboard. I currently
    have two 512 modules onboard. Are you aware of any problems with that
    combination running four 512 modules? I posted elsewhere on this board
    concerning buying the two additional modules 17 months after I built the system
    and trying to match what's already in the machine. Thanks.

    rfdjr1, Jul 4, 2005
  8. GreggC

    Ken' Guest

    Your modules are quite probably double sided and could cause problems. (
    modules 512 or larger usually are double sided ) You don't say what make you
    have.
    I have the same board and my understanding is that as long as the modules
    are single sided, 4 modules will work OK
    I have the same board and I asked the same question at the OCZ forum and
    this is what I was told, as my modules are 2x228 they are single sided.
    If you wish you could ask there yourself.
    http://www.bleedinedge.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45
    Hope this helps
    Ken'
    PS no need to tell them the make of your modules :)

    Ken', Jul 4, 2005
  9. GreggC

    Paul Guest

    Just saw this post. I'm getting ready, or at least was, to buy two more 512
    modules for my Intel4 based system on a P4C800 Deluxe motherboard. I currently
    have two 512 modules onboard. Are you aware of any problems with that
    combination running four 512 modules? I posted elsewhere on this board
    concerning buying the two additional modules 17 months after I built
    the system and trying to match what's already in the machine. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

    I've run two Ballistix PC3200 512MB double sided DIMMs and also four
    Ballistix PC3200 512MB double sided DIMMs and had no problem with
    either configuration. All settings remained the same (including
    PAT enabled).

    With respect to the 1T versus 2T command rate thing, the Intel chipsets
    don't mention this parameter in their data sheets, and I saw a comment
    on Xbitlabs, that the chipsets always use 2T command rate timing. It is
    pretty hard to prove it one way or another, short of using a scope or
    logic analyser.

    In any case, I wouldn't be overly concerned with fitting another
    two DIMMs. Sure, if you select some generic CAS3 DIMMs that are
    half the price of other modules, you might end up with bad RAM.
    But, as a rule, when compared to other motherboard brands, Asus
    usually does a pretty good job on RAM compatibility. In some cases,
    if you extract all the modules from your BIOS file, you'll see
    part numbers for a certain number of RAM in there, implying that
    Asus applies special conditions for some RAM. That is presumably
    because the SPD on the DIMM is known to lie about the RAM
    parameters.

    When you get your new matched pair of DIMMs, test them separately
    first, to make sure there are no problems with the new RAM by
    themselves. Memtest86+ and Prime95 are good programs to use for
    that purpose (a couple of passes error free with Memtest86+ is
    enough, before booting to Windpws and doing the real test with
    Prime95).

    In terms of best strategy, if you are overclocking, two DIMMs in
    dual channel mode gives the best possibility of overclocking. I
    wouldn't use 4x512MB if trying to reach DDR500 (you'd be lucky
    to hit DDR440 with four double sided modules). In that case 2x1GB
    is the way to go, just like with Athlon64. At ordinary memory
    speeds (PC3200 running at DDR400), either two or four sticks will
    be fine on 875P, whereas on Athlon64, four sticks might require
    2T command rate, and take a 15% memory bandwidth penalty compared
    to running with two sticks at 1T command rate.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Jul 4, 2005
  10. Euhm what are you talking about (1T v 2T timing...) ?

    Do you mean amd controllers can only run with 4x 2-2-2-2 memory latency
    chips ?

    Are is this something totally else ?

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Jul 5, 2005
  11. GreggC

    rfdjr1 Guest

    The modules I'm looking at are Kingston, and according to their specs are rated
    for ASUS boards. The modules I Have in the machine already (2 512's) are double
    sided and seem to work fine.

    rfdjr1, Jul 5, 2005
  12. GreggC

    RJT Guest

    You set the memory timings in the BIOS of the board. This is still done
    at board level.

    RJT, Jul 5, 2005
  13. GreggC

    Ken' Guest

    RJT
    The above quote is what I was referring to.
    It doesn't matter if you have the deluxe or the premium, the memory
    controller is in the cpu and not on the board.
    Ken'

    Ken', Jul 5, 2005
  14. GreggC

    Nocturnal Guest

    If you're going for 2GB of memory I would suggest to get 2x1GB and not
    4x512.

    Nocturnal, Jul 6, 2005
  15. GreggC

    RJT Guest

    It does matter which board you have, as even though the memory
    controller is in the CPU, the board - through it's BIOS - still handles
    the memory settings. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to set the timings
    in BIOS now would you.
    To give you an example how the board can still influence mem timings:
    the ASUS A8N SLI boards do not work with a 1T timing above 250Mhz, even
    though this works fine on other nForce4 boards with AMD CPU's.
    RJT

    RJT, Jul 9, 2005
  16. GreggC

    Ken' Guest

    That's true, but the bios on both are very similar with very few changes as
    far as the memory settings are concerned.

    Ken'

    Ken', Jul 9, 2005