Asus A8NE-FM: should I replace it? what would you do if you wereme?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Meccano, Dec 18, 2005.

  1. Meccano

    Meccano Guest

    Hi!

    I just bought a new pc, after choosing each component with the seller.

    The pc has an ASUS A8NE-FM motherboard (processor AMD ATHLON62 x2 3800
    socket 939.

    I chose the A8NE-FM after reading positive comments

    After 1 month I checked on the ASUS site to verify if there was any bios
    update and I could not find A8NE-FM listed, but only A8NE. I was
    puzzled. I contacted ASUS and they replied that the A8NE-FM is a bulk
    motherboard they produce for other producers (e.g Fujitsu-Siemens) but
    they DO NOT SUPPORT it at all, no updates, no support.

    My fault! I did not understand that they were 2 different motherboards!

    I went back to the seller and he said he can replace it but I should pay
    for the installation of a new one (plus the difference)

    What should I do? Keep my motherboard (that works very well) and live
    happy with it or should I worry about the difficulties in updating bios
    (actually bios are released by Fujitsu-Siemens for their own
    machines...should I try to use them?) and ask for a replacement, paying
    other money?

    Do you think this can be a serious concern?

    Thank you!

    Meccano

    Meccano, Dec 18, 2005

  2. I should keep it if it works well .. the only reason to flash the BIOS
    is to fix a problem and you don't have any. OK, if you plan to install
    an AMD 64X4 6800 (quad core) sometime in 2008 then you may need a BIOS
    flash, but you'll probably need a lot more than that (and by then the
    rest of the system will be well obsolete anyway).

    Big hint with BIOS updates - DON'T DO THEM unless you know they'll fix
    some problem you really have. Because they WILL cause new problems, and
    (if the power goes off in the middle, for instance, or if you pick the
    wrong version) they can completely trash your system. Of course some
    folks just can't resist fiddling ....

    GSV Three Minds in a Can, Dec 18, 2005