Asus A8V-E Deluxe and USB ports not working proporly

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Anders Bang, Feb 28, 2006.

  1. Anders Bang

    Anders Bang Guest

    Hi,

    I have installed an Asus A8V-E Deluxe (BIOS 1011) in my HTPC using Windows
    Media Center 2005 (including rollup package 2 update) and the VIA Hyperion
    5.07A driver set. The chipset cooler has been replaced by a Zalman ZM NB47J
    heatsink in order to reduce noise and the board is equipped with an AMD
    Athlon 64 3000+ which is cooled by a Thermalright XP90. The system is
    powered by a Seasonic S12 380W PSU. Nothing is overclocked and everything
    seems to be running at decent temperatures (it is very stable and has never
    craches unexpectedly). Cool & Quiet is enabled and I have installed Asus
    Cool & Quiet Utility v1.022 and AMD CPU Driver v1.2.2.0 in Windows.

    I have a couple of problems with this motherboard though:

    First, if the mouse is connected to the PS2-port the PC will not enter S3
    standby or hibernate - even though no one is touching the mouse while
    waiting for the PC to enter power saving mode. BIOS option "PS2KB wakeup
    from S5" is set to enabled (there is no changes if this option is disabled),
    "PS2MS wakeup from S5" is disbaled and "Power up on PCI devices" is enabled
    to facilitate Wake-on-LAN. Moving the mouse to a USB-port on the rear solves
    the problem. Now the PC enters S3 standby and hibernates according to the
    settings in Windows' power management scheme. This solution is acceptable
    had it not been that I sometimes loose the connections to my mouse and
    Microsoft MCE remote control (which is also connected to the rear USB-port)
    after watching a film for a couple of hours forcing me to use the keyboard
    (which is connected to the PS2-port) to reboot. After reboot, the mouse and
    remote comes back on.

    Second, I am having trouble reading, booting and even formatting floppy
    disks using my Samsung SFD-321U/KJB USB1.1 floppy drive. This goes whether
    the drive is connected through the front or the rear USB-ports. Actually, if
    the PC has been turned off for quite some time (e.g. half an hour or so),
    sometimes I am able to boot on the first try (using the F8 boot menu). But
    after a minute or two of operation, that is no longer the case. Windows is
    almost always unable to read the floppy disks and suggests to format them,
    but without being able to complete a format. The drive and the disks have
    been tested on another system without any problems.

    Now, I am not sure what to conclude from the above, but I have read that
    other people have had quite some problems with the USB-ports on this
    motherboard. Most of them however has been related to USB 2.0 compability
    issues which shouldn't be the case in this instance (and the USB 2.0 drivers
    seem to load fine in Windows) since neither my old Logitech cordless mouse
    nor the Samsung drive is 2.0-devices (I am not sure about the Microsoft
    remote control but I doubt it's a 2.0-device). This has been mentioned by
    XBit Labs in their review of the board
    (http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mainboards/display/asus-a8ve-deluxe.html).
    Other (http://hardware.mcse.ms/archive69-2005-8-227584.html) suggest that
    some boards come with flawky south bridges (since reading the latter article
    I haven't taken the time to identify the manufactoring date of my own south
    bridge so I currently don't know whether this could be an explanation).

    I guess I am looking for people out there having similar problems with their
    USB-ports on this motherboard and of course if any of you have been able to
    fix them. Can the theory on flawky south bridges be confirmed?

    Regards
    Anders

    Anders Bang, Feb 28, 2006

  2. Anders Bang

    Geoff Guest

    I have an a8v and have not had the problems you are but the first thing I
    would do is go through and make sure all the drivers are up to date. Not
    windows update but go to the manufacturer of the hardware you have and to
    asus and make sure you have all the latest.

    In fact, when I think back on it, I did have some issues with misbehaving hw
    and somewhere along the line, it resolved itself while updating all drivers.

    -g

    Geoff, Mar 3, 2006

  3. Anders Bang

    Anders Bang Guest

    I have an a8v and have not had the problems you are but the first thing I
    All drivers are up to date and using manufactors' drivers all over the line.

    Anders Bang, Mar 3, 2006
  4. Anders Bang

    Anders Bang Guest

    Hvis det er nogen hjælp, så er der tale om board rev. 1.03 og south bridge
    har flg. tekst:

    VIA VT8237R
    0442CD TAIWAN
    2IA4041231