    Does anyone have input on this board and or systems for my stated purpose?

    Thanksk,
    Scott

    s.smith, Feb 9, 2004

  2. For what is worth, here is my very recent experience:

    I do both professional video editing and audio production on a on a PC
    environment. A very reliable Pentium III based system.

    Recently I decided to Update my system so I ordered:
    ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe
    1 GB 3200 Corsair matched memory modules
    Pentium 4 3.2 GHz
    2 80GB Hardrives.

    I set up the system only to find it would reboot when I transfered 4Gb worth
    of files across the disks. The failure was defintelly traced to some anomaly
    within the ATA100 hard disk adapter. After trying several harddrives to make
    sure they drives where not the problem, we installed the two harddrives on
    the second IDE adapter (promise raid). System seemed to operated alright (at
    least when transfering files).

    Yet while we were running our Premiere Pro application the system would
    randomly reboot. Keep in mind that Video Editing applications as well as
    recording application tax your harddrive subsystem heavily. At this point we
    called in the people that sold us the mother board.

    The distribuitor offered to replace the ASUS board immediatly. Lets see if
    that solves the problem otherwise I'll have to move to a geniune Intel
    motherboard. They may not be the fastest or cheapest around, yet they do
    tend to be the most stable.

    As you well know, when you are using a computer seriously you cannot just
    "deal" with the situation.

    So far we are not impressed with ASUS. That said we are willing to give it
    one more chance.

    --robert

    Robert Pacheco, Feb 9, 2004

  3. s.smith

    KC Computers Guest

    Where did you see those rumors? We are a dealer and have found
    ASUS boards to be some of the most reliable.

    For digital recording, you may want to consider something with the Intel 875
    chipset
    such as the ASUS P4C800E-DX.

    Feel free to contact us with more questions.

    KC Computers, Feb 9, 2004