    I alway thought the problem is dust blown onto the heatsink slowly clogging
    it up, then your GPU (or CPU) starts thermal throttling and eventually
    crashing.

    116e32s, Sep 15, 2013

  2. 116e32s

    Paul Guest

    Upon reading this, the Asus marketing manager was so distraught,
    she jumped off the second floor of the Foxconn building :)

    *******

    I can find a passing reference to the feature here. Asus has
    the dust-proof fan on a number of cards, but without elaboration.

    http://hothardware.com/Reviews/Asus-DirectCU-Graphics-Card-Roundup-with-Super-Alloy-Power/?page=2

    "The battle against dust rages on!

    In addition to being larger than the fans you'll find on other
    graphics cards, ASUS DirectCU models feature dust proof fans.

    Asus says these fans are sealed twice over to prevent dust
    from entering the housing assembly and clogging up the bearings.
    The result is an increase in the life of the fans by up to 10,000 hours."

    If the fan is sleeve bearing based, you'd hope the biggest
    improvement, would be keeping the lubricant inside it!

    Paul

    Paul, Sep 15, 2013