Asus K8V SE Deluxe - Cool and Quiet not working ? - Chassis Fan no Tacho Signal.

Discussion in 'Asus' started by news.t-online.de, Jun 13, 2004.

  1. HI,

    just built my new system on the K8V SE Deluxe with an AMD64 3200 and 1GB
    Infineon DDR 400 RAM (512 MB on Bank 1and 2). System is running fine, Temps
    are between 32 and 39 C with room temp 24 C, but I´ve got two problems.

    1) I cannot get CnQ working. I followed all the Instructions in the Manual.
    Installed the latest Drivers. But the processorspeed never goes down even on
    Idle. When I turn on the Asus CnQ Software I get >>"," is not a valid
    integer value<< with about a million error windows and the program is shot
    off by XP.
    The one thing I didn´t do yet is updating the bios to version 1003 as I
    ruined my first K8V SE Deluxe with it, as the flash went wrong and even CMOS
    Clear wasn´t possible anymore. On the Asus site I cannot find any hint to
    whether this is necessary to run CnQ. Any hint from you would be great as I
    bought this one especially because of this feature.

    2) I cannot get any signal from my chassis fan "noiseblocker silent sx1 -
    120 mm". It is running fine and hooked up tp the PWR-FAN-Connector. On my
    other PC I get a clear speed signal from this one. The CPU FAN Signal is
    there. Are there any limitations on how fast the Fan has to spin before it
    is recognized by the Mobo?

    Appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

    Addy

    news.t-online.de, Jun 13, 2004

  2. On my k8v-se-d the PS fan sensor is unreliable (at least under the
    v1001 bios). It will only read intermittently. It seems that once it
    reads, it will continue to read until the next reboot. Before
    that nothing.

    This was observed under both Netbsd and Openbsd. If I run mbmon (a
    motherboard temp/voltage/fan speed monitoring program) I see no RPM
    for the first few redisplay cycles. Then all of a sudden after a few
    seconds the PS fan speed appears. Even if a use other programs to
    view the speeed, it then remains visible. Perhaps there is something
    in the sensor chip's initialisation that the bios doesn't do correctly
    but some other programs do.

    What is interesting is when I go into the bios to the HW monitor page
    I see much the same behavior; the first redisplay or two shows no fan
    rpm for the PS fan.

    -wolfgang

    Wolfgang S. Rupprecht, Jun 13, 2004

  3. news.t-online.de

    Addy Guest

    Hi Wolfgang,

    This behaviour might come from the QFAN feature. When I turned this on, the
    CPU Cooler stopped totally and only started working again when the CPU Temp
    reached 52 C.
    Checking the Temp with both AsusProbe and MBM5 it seems the that AsusProbe
    gets the signal a bit faster or this comes from the checking interval.
    Otherwise the CPU Fan Signal is allways there. Fan running at about 2500
    RPM.

    Did you upgrade to BIOS 1003. I couldn´t find any hint to what this might
    bring other than new CPU support.

    Addy

    "Wolfgang S. Rupprecht"

    Addy, Jun 13, 2004
  4. Hi Addy,

    Oh yes, I did notice the QFAN strangeness and/or bug. Scared the piss
    out of me when I went into the Bios and saw how hot the CPU was. I
    figured I'd just cooked my cpu. I turned it off again figuring
    something was amiss. I really wish Asus would let one set the
    temperature where the fan would be up to a certain RPM. My choice
    would be in the 38-40 degree range for the fan being up to speed.
    Well, I did download it, but never did find that DOS formatted floppy
    I keep around for just such an emergency. (The joys or running an
    "alternate", non-MS OS, I guess.) Waiting a bit may have worked out
    well for me, seeing how your flashing went badly.

    Did you ever figure out what caused the bad flash? I really don't
    want to turn my computer into a paperweight.

    -wolfgang

    Wolfgang S. Rupprecht, Jun 13, 2004
  5. news.t-online.de

    Addy Guest

    Well I can´t complain about MS until now. But I´d gladly switch to Linux if
    could be sure
    there was good software for video processing. As this is only starting, I´ll
    have to wait a bit.
    No I didn´t. It just stopped after erasing bios an said. "Bios flashing
    failed". After that, I tried everything to revive it, but I had no luck
    other than the online-shop where I bought it changed it for a new one. They
    said I wasn´t the first one with this board.

    Addy

    "Wolfgang S. Rupprecht"

    Addy, Jun 13, 2004
  6. news.t-online.de

    john Guest

    Does your PS fan autoadjust to temp ? Mine does and runs so slow
    normally that it doesn't register in some monitor programs. It's
    running about 1200-1300 according to PCwizard2004 although it's
    confused and thinks it's my cpu fan ;)

    Doesn't show up in my other programs.

    Hook up a variable speed fan to your header and play with it.

    john, Jun 14, 2004
  7. I think you are right. This is an Antec Sonata case and the PS fan is
    a very slow 1300 RPM.

    I think I will experiment and try it with a faster fan plugged in just
    as a test.

    -wolfgang

    Wolfgang S. Rupprecht, Jun 14, 2004
  8. news.t-online.de

    john Guest

    What's interesting is that when I crank up my two 80mm case fans to
    full speed, they suck air in through the power supply or it seems so
    as the power supply exhaust goes almost to nothing. The power supply
    doesn't seem to mind as it never speeds up.

    I keep the 80's dialed down to about 7volts just to quiet the sunon's
    down. Another advantage of lowering your case fans is your computer
    becomes a better hot air heater for the winter.

    john, Jun 15, 2004