    find. Please if you have any thoughts other than a newer MB let me know.
    Thanks!

    Scott

    Freebie, Oct 30, 2003

  2. Actually, it sounds like a bad drive, or an off spec PCI bus clock. Once
    the drive controller gets 'lost' or confused with garbled control commands
    (like if the PCI clock is off, or the drive is defective, or a problematic
    CD-ROM garbles the IDE channel, or even a flaky cable) it doesn't respond
    properly to even the drive detect commands.

    Why a reset doesn't clear it I don't know but I've seen that happen and
    only a power off gets them back.

    David Maynard, Oct 30, 2003

  3. Freebie

    Freebie Guest

    Thanks for the thougths. It makes sense to me. It's becoming hard for me to
    rationalize trying to spend more time fixing a slot A system with PC100
    memory.
    Any favorite new MB's for AMD chips for you?

    Freebie, Oct 31, 2003
  4. You may be right but if it's a hard drive or CD-ROM then they'd be reusable
    in another system and they're pretty cheap when on sale. I'd do some
    testing to see what the problem really is before I tossed it (but then I
    keep a whole pile of 'older' systems running for various purposes).
    Generically I find the nforce2 boards good but I'm really not looking at
    specifics right now as I've got more than I need already and am kinda
    eyeing the 64 bit developments to see how they go. I'm pondering the idea
    of holding where I am till they settle in price a bit and then leap frog
    into one later.

    David Maynard, Oct 31, 2003