ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe failed BIOS update 0903 to 212

Discussion in 'Asus' started by scottw182, Jan 11, 2009.

1. scottw182

scottw182

Hi everybody, I'm new here, and I need help. I tried updating from 0903 to 2101 last night. This was my first time flashing a BIOS. I used the AWDFlash tool on a floppy. I didn't reset the BIOS to default settings prior to flashing because ASUS's terrible walkthrough did not say to do so. Everything seemed to be going fine as it got to the actual flashing process, then the status bar went kinda crazy (parts of it were displayed outside of the utility window) and it just froze at this spot. I let it sit there for close to an hour and it never moved from this spot. I read online that a BIOS flash shouldn't take more than about a minute so I figured something messed up. I shut down my computer, turned it back on, and got nothing but a black screen. I've tried resetting the CMOS, and also tried booting with minimal hardware, and I still just get a black screen when I turn the computer on. The crashfree utility isn't an option for me because I don't have a PCI graphics card, and from what I've read, I would need one.

So, I'm wondering what my options are. Is there anything else that I myself can do? I've read about some people ordering new chips with the BIOS pre-loaded, how could I go about doing this? Is there anything ASUS will do for me? Is this covered under warranty?

For future reference, is resetting the CMOS something that should always be done after a BIOS flash? If so, when exactly should it be done? It seems like after a successful BIOS flash, the computer automatically reboots. Would I then shut it down again, reset CMOS, then boot up? Or would I need to do a force shut down right after the flash finishes, before the computer has booted once? I may be overcomplicating it but I don't want to have a problem again with anything.

Also, which version of the BIOS should I go for? I was wanting to at least get a version that had Phenom support, and I figured the newest version would be best (I'm still amazed how many issues there are with the latest BIOS, each new version should get better and better).

scottw182, Jan 11, 2009
  2. scottw182

scottw182

Based on replies from other forums, I'm probably going to have to get a replacement BIOS chip. Can anyone verify that the BIOS chip on this board isn't soldered?

Also, is it a DIP chip or a PLCC chip?

scottw182, Jan 12, 2009
  3. scottw182

scottw182

If I order a new BIOS chip with 2101 pre-loaded, isn't there still a possibility that I'll have problems? I've read reports from other people who had successful flashes, but then the BIOS still doesn't work correctly, for whatever reason. Would it be safer to go with an older version? Looking through forums, it seems like there are people who have had problems with every version as well. So it seems like none of them are a safe bet. I would prefer as new of a version as possible, and definitely want Phenom support. Any recommendations?

scottw182, Jan 12, 2009
Ask a Question