    Any idea why that would be happening or what I can do to make the eject
    button work EVERY time?

    The drive is a Liteon DH20A4H. I'm running Windows XP SP2.

    Rhino, Nov 9, 2011

  2. Rhino

    Doug B Guest

    Belt-drive drawer mechanism? (Take a look in there next time it's open).

    May just need a cleaning and application of no-slip fluid.

    Doug

    Doug B, Nov 9, 2011

  3. It's most likely an internal problem with the drive. Years ago I might
    have spent the time to troubleshoot and fix it, but the replacement cost
    is so low that it's faster/cheaper/easier to just jerk the LiteOn out.

    About the only thing I'd recommend would be trying a firmware upgrade.
    SmartPack - Firmware Auto Upgade Program for Optical Storage Products
    <
    http://us.liteonit.com/us/service-s...o-upgade-program-for-optical-storage-products
    If that doesn't fix it, bin it.

    I don't have any recommendations for a replacement, my own experience
    says that consumer-level optical drives are a crapshoot.

    --
    "Shit this is it, all the pieces do fit.
    We're like that crazy old man jumping

    Nobody > (Revisited), Nov 9, 2011
  4. Rhino

    Rhino Guest

    What am I looking for? Can you point me to pictures that illustrate what
    things should look like so that I can see if anything looks out of place?

    Also, what are the steps involved in a cleaning of a DVD drive? Where do I
    get no-slip fluid if I actually need it and where do I apply it?

    Sorry for the dumb questions but I've never done or seen service applied to
    a burner.

    Rhino, Nov 10, 2011
  5. Rhino

    Rhino Guest

    I'll give that a whirl.
    You're probably right; a replacement is probably cheaper than trying to
    repair it. I seem to recall helping a friend out to acquire a DVD burner and
    the drive was only about $20. Not the kind of thing that is going to break
    the bank....

    Rhino, Nov 10, 2011
  6. Rhino

    Rob Guest

    Absolutely, and is what I do every time these days. Keep the old
    drive as a backup; IME, optical drives aren't the most reliable
    things, which is probably down to them being made so cheaply!..
    Same with keyboards - I used to disassemble and clean them, but
    new ones are under UK£10 around here - the price of 3 beers.

    Rob, Nov 10, 2011
  7. Rhino

    Rhino Guest

    For what it's worth, I installed the Firmware Auto Upgrade Program that you
    suggested -

    http://us.liteonit.com/us/service-s...o-upgade-program-for-optical-storage-products

    - and the drive has opened the first time every time since then. Mind you,
    I've only opened it two or three times so I can't be 100% sure that this
    isn't just a fluke. However, I'm cautiously optimistic that this did the
    trick....

    Thank you!

    Rhino, Nov 10, 2011
  8. Rhino

    Bob F Guest

    I hope that works for you. When I've had this problem, it has generally been
    mechanical problems, such as broken tabs, pins, etc that keep all the parts
    working together.

    Bob F, Nov 10, 2011

  9. Not a problem, glad it worked.

    I mentioned it for two reasons:

    1) Your existing firmware may have been buggy in the eject button area.
    You'd be surprised at how much stuff is done by the processor in newer
    stuff.

    2) I have no clue why, but "bit rot" still exists. Reflashing BIOS/
    firmware (even with the same version) has always been one of those
    tricks to try when you are in "It's already broke, what do you have to
    lose by trying" mode.

    Nobody > (Revisited), Nov 11, 2011