    reinstall, but can anyone offer any other advice? Thinking back, things may
    have gotten worse after installing the HD3870, but I have no definite point
    that I can say that's when things went south. TIA, Carl

    Carl, Dec 18, 2007

  2. Carl

    Carl Guest

    Just to add, I got the bios updated to 0903, still noisy audio!

    Carl, Dec 18, 2007

  3. Carl

    Paul Guest

    I have a couple possible theories, one of which you can experiment with.

    Audio doesn't work well, when interrupt response latency is poor.
    The audio device, asks for data when there is very little left in
    whatever buffer it uses. It asserts an IRQ. Then, it DMA transfers
    some more audio samples over the system busses.

    Since you aren't likely to find an application that allows tuning
    the system busses, that leaves playing with IRQs as a possible
    solution.

    Open your Maximus Formula manual to the IRQ table
    "IRQ assignments for this motherboard". That is easier to
    do with the PDF version of the document.

    Notice how the PCI slots share with a lot of other devices.
    My plan would be:

    1) Switch to using the LAN interface that is connected to the
    "A" column. I know the two of them are identical looking,
    so that may be easier said than done.
    2) Move any PCI Express x1 card, out of PCI Express x1 slot 1
    and into slot 2 or slot 3 of the three available.
    3) Install the PCI sound card in PCI slot 2.

    By doing that, even though the "B" column is shared by three
    things, a little cleverness will end up with the PCI slot 2
    card being by itself.

    That is the best experiment I can come up with.

    There was a time, when latency tuning on PCI bus slots was
    available. I believe there was an application to do that.
    But such an application won't have aged gracefully, and
    it might simply be the wrong tool for the job now.

    It has been a known fact, for at least some specialized
    computer applications (involving the installation of custom
    hardware in PCI slots), that the new PCI Express boards
    are not very friendly when it comes to bus sharing. The
    data bursts that the video card makes, can be a factor.
    Now, that should have been recognized when it happened, and
    be on the checklist of things to fix on new chipsets. So
    I hope that your problem has nothing to do with past issues
    seen in that regard. PCI Express is packetized, and the
    data packets sent on the PCI Express bus can be large ones.
    Doing so, reduces the impact of the header size, on
    data transfer performance.

    Paul

    Paul, Dec 18, 2007
  4. Carl

    Fred Guest

    I noticed a similar effect once when connecting a SATA dvdrom drive to the
    JMicron controller on a different model motherboard.

    Fred, Dec 18, 2007
  5. Carl

    Carl Guest

    Thanks Paul and Fred, I'll give that a blast when next off work!

    Carl, Dec 18, 2007
  6. Carl

    Carl Guest

    Found the culprit, it was caused by a faulty Ageia PhysX card.

    Carl, Dec 21, 2007
  7. Carl

    Paul Guest

    Did that affect the operation of the PhysX card itself ?

    Just wondering, in case someone else asks about one of those.

    Paul

    Paul, Dec 21, 2007
  8. Carl

    Carl Guest

    I think that it did indeed, as a few capacitors on the PhysX board were
    fried, I removed that, and an old Raptor 74 Gb hard drive, which was my C
    drive. I have reinstalled with AHCI enabled on 4 WD 500Gb drives,
    performance thing in vista now gives 5.9 result for everything!

    Carl, Dec 23, 2007