    I'd like to hear about some mobo cpu combination that could be had
    used for $300 or less that is a known combination that works with
    solaris.

    Harry Putnam, Feb 27, 2009

  2. Harry Putnam

    Paul Guest

    So if you examine the motherboard list, then list by manufacturer,
    what's wrong with the list of Asus boards ? It is pretty easy to
    read.

    http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/hcl/data/os/systems/views/all_motherboards_all_results.mfg.page1.html

    You can use the following page, if you want to figure out what CPU socket
    a motherboard uses. For example, K8N is S754, and K8N is in
    the list above. M3A78-EM would be an example of a more modern
    motherboard, that accepts AM2+ AMD processors. AMD has a selection
    of cheap processors (some dual cores) that could help
    you meet your cost target. The modern AMD processors have
    their memory controller built in, so the memory type is
    married to the processor selection. DDR2 (pretty cheap stuff)
    is the current main type, with only a few DDR3 AMD processors now
    in circulation.

    http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=-1

    This would be the table of processors that can be fitted to the
    M3A78-EM.

    http://support.asus.com.tw/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=M3A78-EM

    And this dual core processor is $57.

    AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200 Brisbane 2.7GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103210

    Paul

    Paul, Mar 2, 2009