    control the PC if that is possible, and make the change.

    Thanks;

    Edwin

    edavid3001, Oct 4, 2005

  2. It is the CMOS you want to modify, not the BIOS. Now any such access, will
    involve overriding the Windows hardware protection, which could leave
    holes in the security. That having been said, a tool like WPCREDIT, will
    allow this to be done.

    Best Wishes

    Roger Hamlett, Oct 4, 2005

  3. edavid3001

    Paul Guest

    This is just idle speculation - can you disable a processor in Windows ?
    And would that be enough to make your applications happy ?

    http://groups.google.ca/group/micro...5edee533?lnk=st&q=affinity+processors+disable

    http://www.jsifaq.com/subb/tip0500/rh0515.htm

    Paul

    Paul, Oct 4, 2005
  4. edavid3001

    edavid3001 Guest

    Good suggestion. 3Ghz is overkill. Even at 1.5Ghz they are going to
    have enough CPU. I am assuming disabling 1 thread kills 1/2 the CPU?

    edavid3001, Oct 5, 2005
  5. edavid3001

    edavid3001 Guest

    edavid3001, Oct 5, 2005
  6. Doesn't work that way. The two logical CPUs share resources - if one is
    not running anything then the other has access to all of the shared
    resources.

    I doubt disabling HT in the BIOS would give much better results than
    setting Windows to use only one CPU..

    Robert Hancock, Oct 6, 2005
  7. edavid3001

    edavid3001 Guest

    Hyperthreading reportably decreases overall performance by ~10%, so I
    guess I'd get 90%. It's a mute point. The machines are overkill for
    our needs.

    I'm testing the software fix. If that works fine, I'll just leave
    hyperthreading on. Otherwise I will make these changes you
    recommended. I really appriciate the feedback. Thank you.

    Edwin.

    edavid3001, Oct 7, 2005