    dnc_tn Guest

  2. dnc_tn

    SpongeBob Guest

    SpongeBob, Dec 16, 2003

  3. dnc_tn

    dnc_tn Guest

    Is there any difference between "standardATX" and "atx 12'' X 9.6" ?

    Thanks again

    dnc_tn, Dec 16, 2003
  4. dnc_tn

    Dismantler Guest

    I've been buying Antec cases for a few years now (no cheapies, no surprises)
    and I've never had a problem with a board fitting. What you are going to
    want to watch out for is trying to use a regular, full-featured ATX board in
    a Micro-ATX case. That's where you get burnt.

    The nicer Antec cases will fit most boards. Many people like the Enlight
    cases as well, but I've never cared for their visual appearance, hence the
    Antec choice. Price is roughly the same, and I've had really good luck with
    the quality of the power supplies that Antec uses versus other, less
    expensive brands.

    Your mileage will vary.

    Dismantler, Dec 17, 2003
  5. dnc_tn

    SpongeBob Guest

    Standard ATX is 12" x 9.6". And I highly agree with Dismantler's opinion of
    Antec. Enlight should be fine as well.

    SpongeBob, Dec 17, 2003
  6. dnc_tn

    dnc_tn Guest

    thanks for the advice you guys.

    dnc_tn, Dec 17, 2003
  7. dnc_tn

    Dismantler Guest

    Enlight is a DISTANT second choice. I've had trouble with the power supplies
    they use, but many folks swear by them. I figure it was just bad luck on my
    part. I don't use them anymore. I build AMD systems, and Antec power
    supplies are usually on AMD's lists of recommended units. I don't build
    P4's, so if that's where you're headed mobo and CPU-wise, then you might
    wish to look elsewhere for suggestions.

    If you want to buy a bargain case, you may get lucky and get a working power
    supply. Or you may not. Whether it is worth the headache or not is up to
    you. To me, it's not. I typically find myself replacing cheapie power
    supplies within 2-3 years due to failure, if they last that long.

    While someone here has chosen to disagree with me, the three AMD-based
    systems I have are all running solidly on Antec power supplies (in Antec
    cases) and have been running reliably, some of them for years now, without a
    problem. Others are newer, and haven't had any problems.

    As I said previously, your mileage will vary. You could get a bad unit (or a
    series of them), just the luck of the draw.

    Dismantler, Dec 17, 2003
  8. dnc_tn

    SpongeBob Guest

    Actually...What I said was that I agree with you...not disagree

    SpongeBob, Dec 17, 2003
  9. dnc_tn

    dnc_tn Guest

    Where is AMD's list of recommended unit's located?

    thanks again.

    dnc_tn, Dec 17, 2003
  10. dnc_tn

    Dismantler Guest

    http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/DevelopWithAMD/0,,30_2252_869_4348^4376,00.html
    They've copped out in recent site updates, but prior to this, they
    recommended specific units.

    This link lists recommended system components (select desired Athlon
    processor type to get listings):
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/DevelopWithAMD/0,,30_2252_869,00.html

    I went and bought one of them for a system I was building. It was the
    PP-412X. At that time, there was a recommended list. Now they only list
    manufacturers, and this is probably to avoid the appearance of giving
    favoritism to one vendor over another...

    Dismantler, Dec 22, 2003