    Anyone has electrical Datasheet/diagram of this motherboard or anyone similiar
    440BX/ZX Baby AT motherboard?

    Thank You in advance for any help

    tester, Feb 13, 2005

  2. tester

    Paul Guest

    Paul, Feb 13, 2005

  3. tester

    Mercury Guest

    strewth!
    I thought for a moment one of Paul's famous character based illustrations
    was going to come down the chute.

    Mercury, Feb 14, 2005
  4. tester

    Paul Guest

    Give me a moment <sounds of furious typing>...

    Paul, Feb 14, 2005
  5. tester

    Mercury Guest

    Now I know who you are!!!!
    Your the bloke that:
    a) wrote the program to print out nudes on high speed line printers for
    mainframes using only upper case characters in the late 70's &
    b) wrote the program to play jazz on the console speaker of the ASR33 master
    operating consoles on ICL1903A computers (really ancient ~ 1970), AND
    c) wrote the idle code for DEC PDP11/70's (running RSTS/E v6.03c) that spun
    the lights around

    Possibly also responsible for the invention of Paper Tape?

    right?

    :)

    Mercury, Feb 14, 2005
  6. tester

    Paul Guest

    I still have one of those, somewhere. She was called "Miss
    Westinghouse", even though we used to print her out on
    a 360/50. I don't think I have source anymore...
    Wrote tunes on an HP 21MX and picked up the tunes via light output
    from the address LEDs. Program was hand assembled and entered via
    toggle switches on the front console. The computer was so crude, it
    had a bootstrap of only 64 bytes of code (and now we have 256K
    or 512KB BIOS flash chips). The reason for this was, we didn't have
    any tools for the computer, so hand assembly was the only way to
    get the job done.

    Many other computers did their music generation via pickup over an
    AM radio. There was a mainframe programmer who used to write
    tunes for playback over AM radio (just hold up the radio
    next to the computer room window, to listen to the tune).
    That guy was ahead of his time, because he used to do animations
    on the mainframe console display as well. He was also head of the
    computer center (which means he doesn't have to hide the screen
    when the boss shows up).
    Sadly, never got to play with PDP11's.

    Only used paper tape on the 21MX (20 minutes load time, for
    a program that does the equivalent of memtest86). I think the
    minicomputer ran somewhere around 8MHz or so and cost $18K. The real
    reason for hacking some tunes - all I had was a teletype with paper
    tape reader, as an interface to that computer, and that really
    sucks.

    Teletypes were so unpopular in university, that some bright
    students actually managed to push the shift keys right through the
    console, a testiment to student spirit. I met the Teletype repair
    man, and he was real impressed with the effort. There is nothing
    like waiting for output at 110 baud, when an assignment is due
    tomorrow.

    I think we're just a little spoiled now :) I've gone from
    110 baud to 300KB/sec downloads. Slowest processor I've ever
    used is 250KHz and currently using 2.8GHz.

    Paul

    Paul, Feb 14, 2005
  7. tester

    Tim Guest