ASUS P3B-F - Does it support REGISTERED RAM-modules?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Torben Birk, May 17, 2004.

  1. Torben Birk

    Torben Birk Guest

    I have a P3B-F rev1.04. I am running P3B-F ACPI BIOS 1008 beta 04.
    I can't figure out wheter this MB support the Registered Kingston module:
    KVR100X72RC2L/256 or not.
    I'm almost sure that if it wasn't registered it would be compatible - since
    it consists of 18 RAM-chips organised as 16Mx8.
    According to:
    http://homepage.hispeed.ch/rscheidegger/ram_bx_faq.html
    the i440BX chipset generally support registered memory but advices to check
    the manaul - and the P3B-F manual (1.04) is more dubious.

    And why I choose this ECC memory module? - it is cheap: 40$!. And the only
    256MB module I can get at present that possibly would work.

    Thanks

    Torben Birk Christensen
    (Remove fruit to email)

    Torben Birk, May 17, 2004

  2. Torben Birk

    Roy Coorne Guest

    Torben Birk wrote:

    The manual -
    http://www.asuscom.de/pub/ASUS/mb/slot1/440bx/p3b-f/p3bf-104.pdf -
    is not dubious at all - well, they don't list Kingston;-)

    You may wish to check www.crucial.com > Memory Upgrade... they offer
    ECC modules which are suitable for the P3B-F.

    HTH - Roy

    Roy Coorne, May 17, 2004

  3. Torben Birk

    Torben Birk Guest

    Dubious or not - we might be rigth both of us:
    A fact: SDRAM modules can be registered or unbuffered (the term unregistered
    is sometimes used too).

    In the manual chapter 3.5 one can read:
    "This motherboard uses only ...DIMMs. Sockets are available for 3.3Volts
    (..) UNBUFFERED ...SDRAM.".
    And further the Note:
    "At the time this User's manual was written, 256MB DIMMs are only available
    as double-sided REGISTERED memory".

    Why mention "unbuffered... SDRAM" if both registered and unbuffered modules
    will work?
    Why bother the note when registered modules will work?

    Possibly something like an ASUS-apology for at that time the extra price of
    registered modules ??:-o
    These obvious questions made me uncertain and might be the source of a
    semantic battle ;-)

    /Torben Birk

    Torben Birk, May 17, 2004
  4. AFAIR many BX boards will run registered DIMMs just fine, even if only
    spec'd for unbuffered. What I find interesting is that registered
    modules with 16Mx8 chips exist - x4 chips seems to be much more popular
    on those, IIRC because Chipkill only works with them.

    Stephan

    Stephan Grossklass, May 17, 2004
  5. Torben Birk

    Roy Coorne Guest

    = At the time the User's manual was written, unbuffered (unregistered)
    256 MB DIMMs were not yet available.
    Registered modules won't work.
    Registered modules won't work. I read the note as a warning to the
    user to be cautious when buying DIMMs for the P3B-F.
    Yes, the note is not as clearly written as possible;-)

    Roy

    Roy Coorne, May 17, 2004
  6. Torben Birk

    soupy Guest

    It's odd that Registered DIMMS are supported on the P2B-F, but not the
    P3B-F.

    soupy, May 18, 2004
  7. Maybe it's because some of the p2b series board are considered more or
    less "professional" boards, also used in small servers (p2b-ds at
    least), in these applications usually registered ecc ram is used.
    Anyway, I'm pretty sure registered ram will work just fine on the p3b-f,
    as always you just can't mix registered and unbuffered. Asus tells you
    you NEED to use registered ram if you have more than 2 modules on ALL
    boards with bx chipset, regardless the board model (that is, of course,
    not exactly true neither).
    http://www.asuscom.de/support/FAQ/faq094_MBIT.htm
    groups.google.com will tell you the same.

    Roland

    Roland Scheidegger, May 18, 2004
  8. Torben Birk

    Roy Coorne Guest

    It's funny: This Asus page links to Crucial for an explanation of
    'registered', and Crucial informs on the P3B-F: "Module Types
    Supported: Unbuffered only".
    Yes, there are postings about P3B-F boards run with registered DIMMs.
    Very strange all that, indeed; didn't Crucial do their homework?

    Roy

    Roy Coorne, May 18, 2004
  9. Torben Birk

    daytripper Guest

    When I can fill all four slots using commodity dimms and reach the 1GB maximum
    supported system memory capacity, why would I buy a registered dimm that (1)
    adds latency, (2) cannot extend the 1GB memory limit, and (3) costs more?

    /daytripper (Perhaps Crucial got an "A" on their homework? ;-)

    daytripper, May 18, 2004
  10. Hi Torben!

    I don't know all the ins and outs of this RAM-jungle.
    But I can happily report that my P3B-F rev.1.04 (BIOS 1008 IIRC) runs
    just great with 2x 256MB ECC RAM (32x64 chip-config, as with all BX-boards)

    HTH /Ola J

    Ola A Johansson, May 20, 2004
  11. [snip]

    ITYM "32Mx72"; but beyond that, I think your subsequent suspicion is correct.
    Alas, I don't have a P3B-F manual handy at the moment, so I'm unable to
    confirm this definitively; but I strongly suspect that it will not properly
    support buffered ("registered") memory. ECC os OK -- recommended, even -- but
    many BX-chipset mobos require unbuffered DIMMs, even tho' _in_theory_ the
    underlying chipset does not.

    That said, have you tried setting *all* timings and similar to their
    slowest/default values? Note, you may need to install the old DIMMs in order
    to access the BIOS SETUP facility, in order to make these changes; then shut
    down, reinstall the new DIMMs, and try again.
    [snip]

    Not all *that* cheap; and by no means the only suitable module. See:

    <http://castle.pricewatch.com/search...33&i=33&ct=Computer&c=System+Memory&mi=N&m=N>

    --

    Jay T. Blocksom
    --------------------------------

    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.

    Unsolicited advertising sent to this E-Mail address is expressly prohibited
    under USC Title 47, Section 227. Violators are subject to charge of up to
    $1,500 per incident or treble actual costs, whichever is greater.

    Jay T. Blocksom, May 28, 2004
  12. [snip]

    If those DIMMs are really 32x64, then they are *NOT* ECC.

    And either way, ECC is near-certainly not the issue that's giving Torben
    problems. Rather, it is the fact that the DIMMs he's trying to use are
    buffered "registered" types.

    --

    Jay T. Blocksom
    --------------------------------

    Jay T. Blocksom, May 28, 2004
  13. Torben Birk

    Ixnei Guest

    I was under the impression that "buffered" DIMMs have the notch/key in a
    different location, so that it is physically next to impossible to insert
    them into an "unbuffered" socket.
    From the way I read his original and followup posts on this thread, it
    sounds like he hasn't purchased them yet, as he's not sure _if_ they will
    work or not.

    FWIW, I've used two Viking PE32722R4SN3-CL3 (256MB PC100 ECC Registered)
    on a P2B v1.10, and they worked just fine - passed memtest86, cpuburn,
    win2k video benches, etc, etc. But, is the P3B similar enough to its'
    predecessor?!...

    --
    We HAVE been at war with Iraq for 13 years now, bombing their
    country on at least a weekly basis.

    Jay T. Blocksom, May 30, 2004
  16. Torben Birk

    Roy Coorne Guest

    Jay T. Blocksom wrote:
    You may download the manual at

    ftp://ftp.asuscom.de/pub/asuscom/HANDBUCH/Motherboard/Slot_I/INTEL_Chipset/

    Roy

    Roy Coorne, May 30, 2004
  17. Sorry, typo from me.. 32x72 of course, or there would be no room for
    the parity-bit...

    C'ya /Ola J

    Ola A Johansson, May 31, 2004