    Intel INF Update Utility [INFINST.EXE] 5.1.1.1002 12/12/2003

    Guru3D Intel INF Update Utility 6.0.0.1014 2004-06-02

    ....and I am uncertain as to which one to use.

    NEM, Jun 13, 2004

  2. NEM

    Paul Guest

    I used the 5.1.1.1002.

    Maybe the 6.0.0.1014 is for 915/925 boards ?
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/06/01/intel_alderwood_grantsdale/
    http://www.endian.net/details.asp?tag=Grantsdale

    Paul

    Paul, Jun 13, 2004

  3. NEM

    NEM Guest

    Hi Paul,

    Any idea why Asus would not place v5.1.1.1002 on their download page for
    the P4C800-E Deluxe after all this time? Or, instead, provide a direct
    link to Intel? I suppose the P4C800-E Deluxe is slowly becoming
    abandonware.

    My concern stems from Asus doing some "personalization" to Intel's
    release like other companies (eg: Gateway).

    In any case, your reply suggested that you have a P4C800-E Deluxe and
    you are using v5.1.1.1002 without incident. Correct?
    Thanks for the links. It reminds me of buying a new car, driving off the
    car lot and having the car depreciate as soon as you hit the street for
    the first time. <G>

    NEM, Jun 14, 2004
  4. NEM

    Paul Guest

    <<snip>>

    If the 5.0.2.1003 is working properly, maybe there is no reason
    to bother with 5.1.1.1002. Since the Intel INF supports a whole
    slew of chipsets, there might not be any 875 specific updates
    in there. Or, Asus has a testing process, and the new drivers
    haven't passed inspection yet.

    I generally try to find the latest drivers when installing,
    as some hardware (like video cards) ships with stale buggy
    drivers. My 9800 from ATI, for example, crashed on boot with
    the drivers on the ATI CD, and this was fixed by downloading
    the latest from ATI.

    As for abandonware, I think of it as 'matureware", meaning
    the BIOS development is finished, and I would hope to receive
    a bug free product. Products frequently ship with incomplete
    BIOS and sometimes the motherboard revision is changed, as
    issues are worked out. Buying this late in the life cycle of
    the board improves your chances of getting something
    trouble free.

    I would hate to be the first guy to test LGA775 sockets
    and DDR2 memory.

    Paul

    Paul, Jun 14, 2004
  5. NEM

    NEM Guest

    Hi Paul,

    It hadn't occurred to me that the Intel's INF Update Utility would
    contain other Chipset updates considering the method in which I had
    traversed to get to the INF Update Utility download link. It appeared as
    though it was specifically for the 875p.
    I'm not quite in the same situation. My ATI AIW 9800 Pro worked with the
    supplied drives (and support software). Which confirms the point you
    were making.

    It wasn't until I started playing Far Cry that I noticed problems that
    the recent ATI Cats have not addressed. So I thought I might go a little
    deeper and try the latest INFs. Far Cry will sure test your system
    stability.
    My P4C800-E Deluxe was shipped with the dreaded (in some circles) v1013
    BIOS, which worked fine. Not wanting to take any chances, I upped it to
    v1015 where it remains to this today.
    Hehe. Should we dare include PCI Express. <G>

    Thanks Paul.

    NEM, Jun 15, 2004