Asus P4C800-E Deluxe based machine - set up like a dream!

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Mod, Nov 21, 2003.

  1. Mod

    Mod Guest

    Hi.
    I posted to this group a while ago with the subject line:

    "New build Asus P4C800 Deluxe - Advice sought re heatsink choice etc.,
    etc" ...

    .... and have finally gotten round to building the system outlined
    therein.
    Anyway, during my research for all these components I came across a
    lot of posts detailing problems with this sorta setup and would just
    like to post a 'Good News' story for once.

    The machine I've just built, then, is as follows;

    Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHz (800FSB) with HT Technology - Retail x 1

    Asus P4C800-E Deluxe "Canterwood" (Socket 478) Motherboard x 1

    Corsair 1GB DDR XMS3200C2PT TwinX (2x512MB) CAS2 x 1

    Samsung SW-252B 52x/52x/24x CD-ReWriter (Black) - OEM x 1

    Samsung SD-616QBB 16x48x DVD-ROM (Black) - OEM x 1

    Sapphire ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB DDR TV-Out/DVI - Retail x 1

    Akasa Paxmate Acoustic Absorption Mat (CA-000-AK) x 1

    Antec TruePower 550W PSU (CA-002-AN) x 1

    Western Digital Caviar 80GB Special Edition 8MB Cache - OEM x 2

    Lian Li PC 71 Aluminium Full-Tower (No PSU) x 1

    Promise Fast FastTrak100 TX2 IDE RAID card.

    ThermalRight SLK-947U (Socket 478 & Socket A) Cooler

    Hitachi CML174SXWB 17" TFT Monitor (Carbon)

    EXTRA ACCESSORIES

    Akasa Rounded Floppy Cable (0.45m) - Black x 2

    Akasa Rounded Ultra ATA133/100/66 IDE Cable (0.45m) - Green x 2

    Akasa Rounded Ultra ATA133/100/66 IDE Cable (0.45m) - Purple x 2

    Vantec SF8025L Stealth 80mm fan - retail

    Vantec SF9225L Stealth 92mm fan - Retail

    Vantec SF12025L Stealth 120mm fan - Retail

    Metal Thumbscrews 6 pack - Aluminium Cases (Type 2)

    Metal Thumbscrews 6 pack - Steel Cases (Type 1)

    As stated in the Subject line, Setup of the machine and installation
    of XP Pro went flawlessly and it's been running a few days now without
    any problems whatsoever. I'm well chuffed to say the least.
    I opted to disable the onboard RAID controllers and am using my OLD
    Fastrak 100 TX2 PCI card with 2 WD800JB hard drives in a striped
    array. I bought the ThermalRight SLK-947U (Socket 478 & Socket A)
    Cooler but haven't even installed that as my system and CPU temps
    remained stable at 26 degrees C for the first couple of days and have
    only gone up to 30 degress C with the installation of the RAID array.
    consistent Stress testing with stuff like 3D Mark 2001, etc only ups
    the CPU temps to around 45 so that'll do for me too.

    The Lian-Li aluminium case and the stock Intel Heatsink are doing a
    good job keeping this lot cool and I must admit that the complexity of
    the installation instructions for theThermalRight SLK-947U have put me
    off installing that particular component for now. I'll just see how it
    goes over the next few weeks and maybe try to clock it up a little. I
    haven't even used the Vantec fans I bought as the ones already fitted
    in the Lian-Li case are doing OK too it seems. I really love this
    case.

    However, as soon as I get some more spare cash I wanna grab another
    couple of WD800JB Hard Drives and change the stripe set into a RAID
    0+1 setup to give me a bit of security.

    This is the part I'm not sure about.

    Will I be able to do this with the existing stripe set left 'as is' or
    will I have to reformat and reinstall, etc? If anyone's already
    accomplished a similar conversion I'd be obliged to hear how they went
    about it. Is it just a matter of adding a slave to each of the 2
    channels and running the FastBuild utility or are there any caveats I
    should be aware of?

    Thanks in advance for any advice you may have to offer re the RAID.

    Cheers.
    Mod.

    PS, If anyone's thinking of building a machine based on the
    Asus P4C800-E Deluxe I can wholeheartedly recommend this board. My
    last few machines have been Athlons and my 'conversion' back to
    Intel's dark side has been a pleasure. ;>)

    Mod, Nov 21, 2003