ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe + Nvidia GeForceFX 5900 Ultra + Creative Labs SoundBlaster Audigy 2 Platinum eX

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Vincent Poy, Jul 14, 2003.

  1. Vincent Poy

    Vincent Poy Guest

    Greetings everyone:

    Would there be any issues running the ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe with everything
    enabled except for the sound or does it disable automatically when you have
    your own soundcard with the following?

    Nvidia GeForceFX 5900 Ultra
    Creative Labs SoundBlaster Audigy 2 Platinum eX
    Adaptec AHA2940UW UltraWide SCSI Controller

    Would there be any sorts of IRQ or DMA conflicts under WinXP? Since I'm
    not sure if the built-in things on the motherboard can have it's IRQ/DMA
    resources shared with multiple devices or not especially with things like
    the RAID controllers for both S-ATA and P-ATA. Or does the board support
    the stray IRQs where it assigns more than 16 IRQs but virtually? Also,
    would it be wise to have PnP OS disabled in the BIOS as people have always
    done so the BIOS does the resource assignments rather than the OS. Thanks.

    Cheers,
    Vince

    Vincent Poy, Jul 14, 2003

  2. Vincent Poy

    Tim Guest

    Why not just disable the on board sound in the BIOS.
    I have not yet come across an Asus board that fails to release IRQ's or
    DMA's when a device is disabled.

    IRQ sharing is an ACPI feature that works with ACPI aware OS's EG Windows
    XP.
    In general, you should not have problems with IRQ's being shared.

    I would disable the redundant sound device (and all other redundant
    devices).
    I suspect that the sound device used will be determined in the control panel
    where you select on the 3rd tab of the Sounds and Audio devices applet which
    devices will be default for Sound, Recording, MDI...

    PNP Os: not sure.

    - Tim

    Tim, Jul 15, 2003