ASUS P4C800E-DELUXE PROBLEMS PROBLEMS

Discussion in 'Asus' started by jime, Aug 26, 2005.

  1. jime

    jime Guest

    My system has been running great or several months. Now it has been giving
    me fits. I get on line for 5 minutes and disconnect. The cable company came,
    checked everything.
    they determined it is my system. I reinstalled my old system (the one I am
    using now) and I can stay on line so they are right.

    Programs shortcuts stop working. Once after post I got message 'the file
    hal.dll is missing or corrupt'.
    Other strange things.
    The problems are more often as time go on.
    I ran the memory test and all was ok.

    My hard drives run very warm.

    I have a job I must get out so I will reload XP and aps in a few days.

    My gut tells me it is a hardware bug?

    Help!
    Regards,
    Jim

    jime, Aug 26, 2005

  2. jime

    jime Guest

    I should have told more about my system
    Antec 500w ps.
    p4 300. I am not overclocking.
    zalman cnps7700 cpu fan.
    mushkin 1gb memory.
    3 HDs all WD and the smart data is good.
    ati 9600 video.

    Jim

    jime, Aug 26, 2005

  3. jime

    BigJIm Guest

    try reseating the memory, the video card and any other pci card you may have
    in the system.

    BigJIm, Aug 26, 2005
  4. jime

    Bob Willard Guest

    If the HDs are too hot, it may simply be inadequate airflow around the HDs.
    Open the tower and clean the filters, blow out any dust around the HDs, and
    (of course) make sure all box fans are spinning. While you have the box
    open, blow the dust from the CPU heatsink, and make sure its fan spins.

    Bob Willard, Aug 26, 2005
  5. jime

    Paul Guest

    To expand on that a bit - if the room temperature is 25C, then the
    computer enclosure should be about 7-10C hotter if properly cooled.
    If it is 20C hotter than the room, that is too much. If you are
    using an older computer case, there may not be enough room for
    ventilation on the case. Even if you are using a modern case (like
    Antec Sonata), and there is a 120mm fan on the back of the computer,
    there may not be sufficient holes in the front of the case for the
    air to get in. I removed some of the plastic from the front of my
    Sonata (the lower section), and the inside air temp dropped about
    7C.

    In other words, work on your case cooling.

    Hard drives are both temperature and humidity sensitive. The more
    relative humidity in the room, the lower the allowed temperature.
    At 60% humidity (the point where carpeting starts to mildew and
    the room develops an odour), you are allowed about 35C disk drive
    case temperature. If your computer room is air conditioned,
    the humidity could drop to around 40% or so, which is not as bad
    for the drive.

    Also, even if the Asus Probe reported case air temperature is 35C,
    it could be that the hard drives are located in a "dead spot"
    in the case, in terms of air flow. Either use a drive tray that
    has a fan mounted in front of the tray, or build your own cooling
    solution. For example, I did the following mod to one of my cases.

    +------------------+
    |PSU Disk X <------- Externally mounted 80mm
    | Drives X
    | |
    | X <------- The normal internal 80mm
    +------------------+

    The externally mounted fan is held in place by some aluminum angle
    iron, and a piece of sheet metal with a hole for the 80mm fan
    controls air flow, so there is positive pressure into the case
    around that fan. The lower fan helps keep the dust swirling around
    inside the case, so the dust will fly out the back without settling
    on the components.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Aug 26, 2005
  6. jime

    Lynn McGuire Guest

    My system has been running great or several months. Now it has been giving me fits. I get on line for 5 minutes and disconnect.
    Check your motherboard capacitors:

    Lynn

    Lynn McGuire, Aug 26, 2005
  7. jime

    Lynn McGuire Guest

    Lynn McGuire, Aug 26, 2005
  8. jime

    Paul Guest

    Asus is not on "Homey's" A list. Perhaps you could email Homey and
    see what his current field return rate statistics are like ?

    http://www.motherboardrepair.com/

    It is true that any board can be subject to an electrolytic
    capacitor failure. That is the nature of statistics - occasionally
    someone will get unlucky. And running the capacitors at elevated
    temperature does reduce their life. But the Asus failure rate
    should be nowhere near the rate for Abit.

    http://www.abitsettlement.com/

    Paul

    Paul, Aug 27, 2005