Asus P4P800 audio glitch

Discussion in 'Asus' started by bigbrian, Jun 28, 2003.

  1. bigbrian

    bigbrian Guest

    This is driving me mad...I guess there's something really simple that
    I'm not doing....

    I'm building a rig with the P4P800 mobo (using the onboard sound), an
    ATI Radeon 9000 Pro AIW and Creative 5100 5.1 speakers.

    The BIOS has the audio enabled, and I have no problem getting sound
    out if I plug in a headset, but I can't figure out how to get the
    speakers into the setup.

    The mobo has three ports at the back, pink, green and blue. The
    speakers have orange (centre/subwoofer) black (rear) and green
    (front) .

    The SoundMax audio wizard tells you which ones to plug which jack into
    for a 5.1 setup, but the problem is that the ATI card needs to be
    connected to the line in on the sound card (so it says). So there
    aren't enough audio ports. When I plug in the ATI card into one of the
    audio ports, the Wizard tells me to plug it into a diferent one, when
    I plug it into there, it tells me to plug it back into the one I just
    took it out of!

    I'm guessing there's an audio setup configuration option somewhere
    that I haven't set........

    Or am I missing something?

    Dot to dot instructions on how to get this working would be greatly
    appreciated

    Brian

    bigbrian, Jun 28, 2003

  2. bigbrian

    Egil Solberg Guest

    All 3 jacks are needed when you want 5.1 sound. I´ve seen something like
    this on the Asus A7S333, with C-media onboard sound. When you have 5.1 sound
    you cannot use line in and mic in.
    So if you need to use line in for the AIW, you must use a 2-channel sound
    setup instead. The A7S333 comes with a nice config program, so it´s not a
    problem to switch settings quick.
    Look at page 5-20 in your mobo manual, and you will see that the config you
    want is impossible unless you switch to and from.

    Egil Solberg, Jun 28, 2003

  3. bigbrian

    Rob Morley Guest

    My AIW has an internal audio-out header which I've connected to the CD
    audio-in header on the soundcard using a CD audio flylead. I expect
    yours has the capability for the same sort of arrangement. The CD audio
    connector isn't needed by Windows XP because it handles CD audio as
    data. You may also have an auxiliary audio-in header for your mobo
    onboard sound which you could use for the AIW.

    Rob Morley, Jun 28, 2003
  4. bigbrian

    Paul Guest

    Dunno if this would work, but I think you also have a four pin AUX1 header
    on the motherboard. Maybe hacking an adapter cable, by getting a CDROM
    cable and then a jack at radio shack, to adapter from the 1x4 pin AUX1
    header, to a stereo audio jack (hint: one of the AUX1 GND pins isn't
    needed). You would have to find a way of mounting the jack on the case,
    but that would give an extra line level input. Then plug the AIW into
    that new jack. (If the AIW had a CDROM style cable and internal
    connector, it would be dead simple.)

    The other issue would be the sound control panel(s) and whether
    they allow input from AUX1 while having the desired 5.1 sound output
    config.

    Just a theory,
    Paul

    Paul, Jun 28, 2003
  5. bigbrian

    Tim Auton Guest

    [snip]

    You may be able to get round the limitation with the number of rear
    ports by fashioning a cable to run to the internal CD-audio connector,
    if you don't need it.

    Tim

    Tim Auton, Jun 28, 2003
  6. bigbrian

    bigbrian Guest

    But I don't have a soundcard
    Brian

    bigbrian, Jun 28, 2003
  7. bigbrian

    Tim Auton Guest

    I bet you have CD-in on your motherboard though.

    Tim

    Tim Auton, Jun 28, 2003
  8. bigbrian

    Rob Morley Guest

    Indeed, a quick glance through the manual reveals that it has CD and
    auxiliary audio connectors.

    So remind me, what does RTFM mean again?

    Rob Morley, Jun 28, 2003
  9. bigbrian

    bigbrian Guest

    As it happens, the problem has (partly) been solved by installing a
    Sound Blaste Live 5.1 soundcard.

    I say partly because at the moment, the sound output is stereo (left
    front and right front only), not 5.1.........

    So further suggestions to get full compatibility are welcome

    Brian

    bigbrian, Jun 29, 2003
  10. bigbrian

    Rob Morley Guest

    Presumably you did go into Advanced Audio Properties and select 5.1
    speaker playback?

    Rob Morley, Jun 29, 2003
  11. bigbrian

    GMAN Guest