    drive but am having problems getting my ASUS P4P800 Deluxe to see it. Can
    anyone help?

    Cheers in advance

    xyz, May 5, 2004

  2. xyz

    MC Guest

    I've got a 120 and a 250 working on a P4C800 - what's the problem? Does it
    not appear in the bios screen at all? Can you hear / feel it spinning up?

    MC, May 5, 2004

  3. xyz

    Paul Guest

    Does your BIOS have entries like this ?

    "Onboard IDE Operate Mode" [Compatible]
    "IDE Port Settings" [P-ATA Ports Only]

    How you set the IDE Operate Mode is a function of the OS
    or OSes you plan on using. The above two settings will
    ensure you can see a PATA drive, on either Win98 or WInXP.

    The thing is, Win98 doesn't know what SATA is, and the
    chip makers decided it would be cool if the SATA drive
    was wired in logic, to look like it was one of the PATA
    cables. That is called Compatible mode. Since PATA only
    supports four drives, in Compatible mode you can have
    any mix of pairs of PATA or SATA drives, as long as there
    aren't more than four drives involved. (If there was a
    way to get a native mode driver, then maybe this could
    be changed - I'm just reading the manual :)

    In WinXP, using the Enhanced mode apparently makes the
    drives look like they are on the PCI bus. Something that
    Win98 wouldn't understand, as normally IDE devices have
    fixed I/O addresses for their control. In Enhanced mode,
    the [S-ATA] setting is the fastest setting, and will allow
    all six drives (2xSATA, 4xPATA) on the Southbridge
    to be used.

    So, try the above two BIOS settings, as that should at least
    make your PATA IDE drives work.

    If you are bored, there is an Intel document. It explains
    in more technical detail the hardware remapping, if you
    are interested.

    "ICH5 SATA Programmers Reference Manual"
    http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets/manuals/25267102.pdf

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, May 5, 2004
  4. xyz

    MC Guest

    All good stuff but irrelevant to seing a drive in the BIOS!

    Check the SATA data cable is attached correctly AND EITHER SATA power OR
    molex power cables

    MC, May 5, 2004
  5. xyz

    xyz Guest

    I can hear/feel it spinning up but it doesn't appear in the bios screen at
    all.

    "MC"

    xyz, May 6, 2004
  6. xyz

    xyz Guest

    Tried that - no change. The drive must be faulty.

    "MC"

    xyz, May 6, 2004