    motherboard and Win98SE by shutting down Win98SE. I also upgraded the
    BIOS of my new motherboard to the latest version.

    Jur Schuurman

    Fam. Schuurman, May 16, 2004

  2. Fam. Schuurman

    Paul Guest

    I'm not sure you can fix it. An ATX power supply maintains +5VSB
    running, after you shutdown from Windows. The power can be used
    to maintain the contents of DRAM, power any PCI cards that have
    a waking capability, power any USB devices that have a waking
    capability (like keyboard), and so on. You can set the USB power
    jumpers on the motherboard to run from +5, instead of +5VSB, and
    that will help a bit. Same goes for PS/2 keyboard and mouse.
    As for the other power consumers (like wake on LAN from the
    onboard network chip), I'm not sure that disabling their waking
    functions causes the power to be disabled too.

    I've measured the power consumption of the last computer I built,
    and it was 12W after Windows shut down. So, I can see why your device
    is remaining running.

    Does the outlet device have a sensitivity adjustment ?

    Perhaps if you take the outlet device to a repair shop, they can
    open it up, and determine whether the sensitivity can be reduced.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, May 16, 2004

  3. No, alas, the outlet has no power adjustment, it is fixed to 15W.
    As I have a PS/2 mouse and keyboard, I do not need a USB waking
    capability.
    Also, I do not need a wakeup LAN.

    Is it possible to switch off those waking capabilities?

    Jur Schuurman

    Fam. Schuurman, May 16, 2004
  4. Fam. Schuurman

    Noozer Guest

    I'd love to find a powerbar like this in Canada (or even toss one together).

    Any suggestions folks?

    Noozer, May 16, 2004
  5. Fam. Schuurman

    Paul Guest

    Note: These are usually the default setting from the factory.

    KBPWR - Set jumper to +5V
    USBPW12 - Set jumper to +5V
    USBPW34 - Set jumper to +5V
    USBPW56 - Set jumper to +5V
    USBPW78 - Set jumper to +5V

    "Power On By PCI Device" [Disabled]

    The onboard LAN chip could be powered by +5VSB, to support the
    wakeup function. Maybe you could try disabling the Onboard LAN,
    then attempt a shutdown and see if the power is reduced enough
    to work.

    "Onboard Lan" [Disabled]

    While there are some transistors used on the motherboard
    to control power flow (like the ones connected to the
    fan headers), I don't know if that technique is used on
    any of the motherboard chips or not. Some chips have a
    disable pin, and many chip designs are filled with power
    saving features, so it probably isn't necessary for Asus to
    switch off the power flow to the chips using a pass
    transistor.

    Paul

    Paul, May 17, 2004