ASUS P4P800-VM is not booting after installing Linux

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Inquirer, Feb 14, 2006.

  1. Inquirer

    Inquirer Guest

    Hi:

    I have an ASUS P4P800-VM (with CPU P4 2.8 GHz FSB 800 512K) motherboard
    with a Maxtor 80 GB SATA hard disk. Since I had at hand an Ubuntu Hoary
    install CD, I began installing this version. After that, I changed the
    repositories to point at the ones they keep in the intranet at work. I
    upgraded to Ubuntu Breeze and set up kubuntu desktop perfectly.

    Once I did all this, I restarted my PC and everything went fine (with
    the exception of the soundcard, but this doesn't matter to me right
    now). I worked on this newly installed PC for the whole day and
    everything went fine.

    When the time came to go home, I logout and left the computer on as
    usual. When I came back next morning the computer was off. When I turn
    it on it didn't recognize the hard disk. All other PC's connected to
    the same UPS where up and running as usual.

    I have searched the web but nobody seems to have had the same problem.
    I've read about some problems with ASUS motherboards but all of them
    regarding secondary issues. I have upgraded the BIOS to the newest
    available version and it keeps with the same problems.

    Please, help me 'cause I'm desperate now.

    Inquirer, Feb 14, 2006

  2. Inquirer

    Paul Guest

    And of course you tested the hard drive on another computer. Perhaps
    a disk test program from the Maxtor site, plus another computer
    for test, will tell you whether the hard drive is still good or not.

    Paul

    Paul, Feb 15, 2006