    40 and a 20, I'd only really get 40 gigs of striped space, 20 gigs of the 40
    being lost.

    I've RTFM and it doesn't say anything about size requirements.

    Shawn Barnhart, Jul 30, 2004

  2. Shawn Barnhart

    Kevin Miller Guest

    I think you can, but, for example, with one 80 gig drive and one 120
    gig drive, the raid controller will only see two drives equal to the
    size of the smaller drive, i.e., 160 gigs on your RAID 0 array.

    Kevin Miller

    "Either way, it is bad for Zathras."

    Kevin Miller, Jul 31, 2004

  3. And it works just that way. I tested it using a 10gig and a 20 gig Maxstore
    and it let me make a 20 gig RAID-0 just fine (albeit losing the 10 gigs of
    space on the 20 gig drive).

    The downside? Way worse performance than my 80 gig SATA disk, and XP RAID
    is about 25% faster than the Promise RAID using the same disks.

    Promise: 14MB/sec write, 20 MB/sec read
    XP RAID: 17MB/sec write, 24 MB/sec read
    SATA single disk/no RAID: 48 MB/sec write, 48MB/sec read

    I'm pretty sure I'm handicapped by the 10 gig drive -- its old and only does
    UDMA2 according to XP device manager, and the 20 gig drive does UDMA5, per
    XP devman. The Promise controller listed both drives as UDMA 2, perhaps
    slowing the 20 gig drive to meet the 10 gig's max.

    I might get better numbers once I swap the 10 gig for the 40 gig drive.

    Shawn Barnhart, Jul 31, 2004
  4. Shawn Barnhart

    D Guest

    Just curious, but where are you getting yr read/write figs from?

    D, Jul 31, 2004
  5. I used this program called "Nbench". It may well be wrong or misleading
    info, but a back-of-the-envelope file copy seemed to reiterate its findings,
    even if the specific numeric figures are incorrect.

    Shawn Barnhart, Aug 2, 2004