Asus P4P800SE: IDE devices sometimes not detected

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Roland Schweiger, Nov 14, 2006.

  1. I have a strange problem that only occurs occasionally

    Setup :
    MB ASUS P4P800SE

    Hard Disk 1 on Primary IDE Master: Maxtor 6Y120L0 (Y36LA8JE)
    with UDMA-6 enabled

    Primary Slave = HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8400B

    Hard Disk 2 on Secondary IDE Master WDC WD1200JB-00DUA3 (WD-WMACM1910791)
    UDMA-5 enabled.

    No secondary slave.

    No s-ata and no p-ata devices connected.

    Processor P4 Northwood HT with 3 GHz, FSB 800 MHz, and 4x 256MB of DDR RAM.

    The system seems to work fine, but sometimes when booting,
    especially when re-starting the system,

    the system will do the POST, says that processor and memory are found,

    AND WILL NOT GO ON TO DETECT THE IDE DEVICES.

    It sometimes takes several minutes until they are detected or they will not
    come up at all.

    The BIOS does not crash totally because when i press the DEL button, it says
    "entering setup" but still nothing happens.

    Eventually after cold re-start, in most cases, the HDDs are detected
    immediately and everything works super fine.

    The WDC western hard disk is jumpered as "single master" and i tried all
    jumper cofigs.

    Does anyone know of this problem?

    greetings from Dresden in Germany.

    Roland Schweiger

    Roland Schweiger, Nov 14, 2006

  2. Roland Schweiger

    Paul Guest

    It could be a motherboard problem. The Southbridge is the weak link on these
    boards, and I'm waiting for the day when my P4C800-E starts doing stuff like
    this. Usually it is the USB that is killed.

    You might want to get the testing programs from the disk drive manufacturers.
    Some of the programs have non-destructive test options (read-only).

    You could also review the SMART statistics, to see if there is anything alarming
    in there. More background information on SMART is here:

    http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/

    In terms of problem reports, the Asus hosted site has more posts from users.
    You might spot a trend here, by examining all the various boards that use
    ICH5/ICH5R.

    http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.asp...odel=P4P800 SE&page_size=100&page=1&count=366

    If there is any time left on the warranty, you might try a warranty repair.
    Asus may decide to solder a new Southbridge on the board for you.

    Paul

    Paul, Nov 15, 2006

  3. Roland Schweiger

    BigJim Guest

    two things I would check would be memory and power supply and of course make
    sure
    all the cables are securely on.

    BigJim, Nov 15, 2006