    supply. All these in a Silverstone case. Nothing else attached. After
    pressing the front power button, the CPU and case fan spin for about a
    second, and then shut down. Does this sound like a defective motherboard?

    Al, Jul 15, 2004

  2. Al

    Paul Guest

    Is the 2x2 ATX12V power connector installed, as well as the normal
    20 pin ATX power connector ? The processor gets its power exclusively
    from the 2x2 connector on recent generation boards.

    The fan headers are powered through the single +12V wire on the 20 pin
    ATX power connector, so the fact that they spin, doesn't prove that
    the processor is getting power. You'll have to look to see if the
    2x2 connector is plugged in.

    If that isn't the problem, I'd next be checking the label on the
    Zalman power supply. A rating of 12V @ 15A is a good general purpose
    number for a high end processor. A Northwood Celeron will perhaps not
    need quite all of that, so a slightly lesser rating might still work.

    If your processor is one of those fancy CeleronD processors, well,
    good luck :) The last poster I responded to with a CeleronD has an
    overload problem on his PSU, and your 300W is probably no match for
    the evil that is CeleronD. They are too new for the full story to
    be known - something just isn't right about them.

    Paul

    Paul, Jul 15, 2004

  3. Al

    Al Guest

    Al, Jul 15, 2004
  4. Al

    Homer Guest

    I did not see if you put in a video card or memory in your message. Reseat
    the memory and video card and check the CPU and make sure there are no bent
    pins. If you have an old pci video try that to see if it works. Try clearing
    the cmos. Unplug the unit and move the cmos jumper and return it to it
    correct position.

    Homer

    Homer, Jul 15, 2004
  5. Al

    Adam S Guest

    Are you sure the CPU fan is plugged into the CPU fan connector. If the
    motherboard does not see any power being drawn from the CPU fan power
    connector it will assume that the CPU has no fan, and will shut down to
    protect itself.

    Adam S

    Adam S, Jul 15, 2004
  6. Al

    Al Guest

    The CPU fan is definitely plugged into the right connector. Hopefully those
    kinds of diagnostic checks have kept me from damaging anything so far.

    I attached the system speaker to see if there were any codes generated, but
    nothing. The CPU fan turns off pretty quickly, probably less than a second.
    Someone local suggested a short, but I attached the board very carefully,
    and I have checked that nothing is touching something it shouldn't be.

    I am starting to think I have a bad mobo / CPU / PSU. Maybe I'll take it in
    to someone that knows what they are doing.

    Al, Jul 15, 2004
  7. Al

    Al Guest

    See below for the solution

    I attached a hard drive to IDE 1, and the thing started up right away. I
    feel a little stupid, but thanks for the suggestions.

    Al, Jul 15, 2004
  8. Al

    Paul Guest

    That doesn't sound normal. Something else must have changed in your
    reassembly of the system. The BIOS would normally wait a period of
    time, to determine whether there are any disks connected. It cannot
    figure all that out in one second. For example, my board has a 35 second
    timeout constant set in the BIOS. A one second shutdown is the kind
    of thing that happens if the fan isn't connected or something is
    overheating etc.

    Paul

    Paul, Jul 15, 2004