ASUS P4T Socket 423 intel 850 chipset - where to download a bios update so I can install a 200gb hdd

Discussion in 'Asus' started by power, Nov 5, 2003.

  1. power

    power Guest

    ASUS P4T Socket 423 intel 850 chipset - where to download a bios
    update so I can install a 200gb hdd ?

    The Seagate utility says that I need a bios update otherwise it will
    only format my 200gb seagate to 137gb.

    I have a Pentium 4 pc system, running winxp but without the service
    packs as I found the last time I installed the service pack 1 that ot
    stuffed up my pc. Went from a stable pc to a pc that started to crash
    to often. That was little over a year ago now.

    I had a look on the Asus sites for bios updates fpr my motherboard but
    doesn't even have it listed. I bought my pc two years ago.

    http://www.asus.com.tw/support/support.aspx

    Anyone know a direct link to download the bios update for my
    motherboard please?

    Or do I need to buy a pci ata/133 card which isgoing to be a bit
    difficult as I have used all my slots.

    I hope this doesn't mean I need to buy a new pc because this one I
    have is running perfectly well, just running out of hard drive space.

    I have two seagate 80gb ata100 7200 baracuda drives in my pc.
    I'm wanting to replace the second 80gb with the 160gb so I don't have
    to format an dre install windows and all the other programs and plan
    to place the 80gb into a usb2 ext case for fast backing up.

    power, Nov 5, 2003

  2. ftp.asuscom.de will have bios updates. Looking at the site, there's a
    1007 and a 1008 beta 1 available. No idea if they'll support drives
    that big, though.

    Don't forget to add the Large LBA entry to the registry; I'm told bad
    things could happen if this isn't done. Quoting:

    "To enable 48-bit LBA large-disk support in the registry:

    Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
    Locate and then click the following key in the registry:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Atapi\Parameters

    On the Edit menu, click Add Value, and then add the following registry
    value:

    Value name: EnableBigLba
    Data type: REG_DWORD
    Value data: 0x1

    Quit Registry Editor."

    -------------------------------------------------+-------------------
    "One World; One Web; One Program." -- Microsoft | OS/2 Warp
    | Solid like Linux
    "Ein Volk; Ein Reich; Ein F├╝hrer." -- Hitler | Easy like Windows
    -------------------------------------------------+-------------------

    Use your bandwidth. If you don't, it'll go stale.

    If Bill Gates had a dime for every time a Windows box
    crashed... oh, wait. He does.

    I Am Not A Number... Um...except for my TCP/IP address.

    If you can read this .sig, you're too damn close.

    Save a cow. Eat a vegetarian!

    Dark Days in Human History: Hiroshima'45 Chernobyl'86 Windows'95

    Proud member of the Signature is Longer Than The Post Association

    Fish Taco Joe Schmuckatelli, Nov 5, 2003

  3. The P4T is on the Asus site, the best source is the German FTP site, be
    sure to look under "Socket 423". If push comes to shove, I have the
    1007 bios and could send it to you. I THINK that it supports 48bitLBA
    (drives larger than 137 gigs).

    Be aware that there is a LOT more to this than just the BIOS update,
    even if you have Windows XP service Pack 1, you will need to add new
    registry keys to get it to work, and with some of the earlier OS'
    (Windows 98 or NT, for example), it WON'T work, no matter what you do.

    The German FTP site is at:

    ftp://ftp.asuscom.de

    and your BIOS is here:

    ftp://ftp.asuscom.de/pub/ASUSCOM/BIOS/Socket_423/INTEL_Chipset/i850/P4T

    (download the 1008 bios, it's the latest one).

    Barry Watzman, Nov 6, 2003
  4. power

    power Guest

    I went to that link but it wants me to type in a password to access
    the site.

    Looks like a need a new motherboard which means a new cpu, ram etc...
    which really means buying a new pc.

    So I may just buy a new pc.

    What's the best ASUS motherboard to get these days.
    Should I get Serial ATA support and will these new serial drives have
    endless support for much larger drives. I don't really want to get
    caught again with having to buy a new pc just to get a upgrade.

    Thanks for the reply.

    power, Nov 6, 2003
  5. ..........
    Don't be so impatient. Asking for a password usually means, the server
    is at or close to the maxiimum allowed users and will only service
    autorized users until load is reduced. SO wait a little bit and try
    again.
    As to your tendency to a new board: Why? if your board is OK, then why
    don't you follow the advices given here and:
    a) fflash to the latest known good BIOS, maybee even the betas,
    because mostly old board bioses are kept in beta state by asus but
    benefit all the patches for new CPU and larger HD
    b) follow all the advices on XP here and do install SP1 and the
    following pathces and read about 48bit LBA registry entries as well.

    A new board will also need the SP1 and registry entry, now way out.
    unless you wait for a new windows to be published.

    Why do you give up that fast and think buying ne stuff is better?
    Havent you heard about the new boards giving problems and being
    developd at the custemers side?

    Man wake up for reality
    Armin

    Armin Pfeffer, Nov 6, 2003
  6. power

    power Guest

    Tried it may times. Not wasting my time oin that site again.
    Are you on something?

    I have fixed it so I can burn past the 137gb limit.
    Didn't nee dthe winxp service pack, didn't need to get a new board,
    didn't need to get a ata133 pci card. A simple utility and I was able
    to format the drive past the 137gb barrier.

    power, Nov 7, 2003
  7. It doesn't require a password for me. Try a different FTP client. Or
    if you E-mail me, I can send it to you as an attachment.

    Barry Watzman, Nov 7, 2003