ASUS P5AD2-E Premium and XFX 7950GT 570M Extreme - possible conflict?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by AArrenius, Nov 14, 2006.

  1. AArrenius

    AArrenius

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2006
    I just recently bought a new XFX 7950GT, slightly overclocked and with passive cooling, so there's one less big fan making my ears bleed.

    I went about uninstalling and removing the old card, put the new one in its place, connected the additional power cable that came with the packade and booted up.

    All seemed normal and showed no artefacts on screen, so I assumed all was ok. Once in win XP the new hardware was automatically found and prompted me to install new drivers. I put the CD in the drive and bam.. the computer freezes.

    So, I reboot, this time trying to "Explore" the CD. This way I manage to extract the included 91.47 drivers and proceed w/ the installation. However, when the unpacking and loading of the files is completed, there is an error message claiming the installation process can not be completed. I have now gone through this process with two newer drivers from Nvidia with the exact same result.

    Next step was to update to the latest BIOS. This went flawlessly but gave no new result as far as driver installation goes. The latest BIOS I found was over a year old. So that still COULD be an issue I guess. But even though I'm not computer illliterate I am no rocket scientist either so I could use a bit of input on this one.

    I have even changed the pci slot for my sound card as was suggested for another user with 7950GT-issues. This DID help me get a different IRQ than that of the PCI-E slot which seems to require three ports itself.

    Again, no new result with the installation process.

    I get a listing of VgaSave mode when I go to check under Display properties, Settings, Advanced, Adapter, Properties.

    I don't know how to check that the card is getting enough power. The PSU is a Qtechnology Papst 460W so it should be adequate powering, but can I find out somewhere if the PCI-E card is actually receiving the power?

    Anyone know if there is an easy fix to this issue or if the card is just defective?

    /A

    AArrenius, Nov 14, 2006