    Or what the problem might be.

    Thanks.

    Andy.

    andyw, Oct 3, 2004

  2. andyw

    Scott Guest

    Got to be way more specific bro, we need your exact system config, you exact
    drives, serial or ide, make model, all that stop be as specific as you can;

    Scott

    Scott, Oct 3, 2004

  3. andyw

    andyw Guest

    Its an ASUS P5AD2 motherboard, 3.4g CPU PCI-E Graphics, 1 gig 4200 RAM

    The drives are two 36gig rapters.

    Perhaps that choice was greyed out because I only have 2 drives
    installed and RAID 0 requires two drives ?

    Either way I went through the process then put a bootable Win XP disk
    in, restarted and when XP fished its inital bit before installation it
    said it could find any hdd on the system.

    Do I have to so anything in between creating a RAID and installing
    windows ?

    Thanks.

    andyw, Oct 3, 2004
  4. andyw

    et Guest

    Sorry to be off the exact subject but I have the Premium board and it starts
    (fan, etc.) but no beep, no video.
    Just curious, what memory are you using??

    Thanks,
    Joe

    et, Oct 3, 2004
  5. andyw

    andyw Guest

    I'm using a PC4200 1 gig module from crucial.

    I've installed it in the yellow RAM socket nearest the processor slot.

    does you video card have an extra power supply on it, have you fitted
    it ?

    The motherboard has a 24 pin power connector however my power supply
    has a 20 pin connector. According to the manual this is no problem as
    long as your choosen power supply can provide 15 amps at 12 volts, does
    your fit this criteria.

    What CPU do you installed ? the more powerful the CPU the more power it
    will consume.

    You may also have a dud motherboard, if you look on the box it came in
    you see a sticker with the serial number on it, if at the bottom of
    this label there is the text "chipset ok" (or something to that effect)
    it means you have one of newer boards.

    Silly question I know but is the grpahics board correctly seated ?
    What exactly do you see on the screen when you boot it up ?

    andyw, Oct 4, 2004
  6. andyw

    Scott Guest

    Andy, tell me exactly what the bios setup screen in your raid bios says..

    Where are the 2 drives installed? Which serial ATA?

    You need rto hold down the F6 button when you see the prompt
    "Please press F6 if you have any mass storage devices"

    I bet you didnt do that did you?

    XP will not recognize the ICH6 on it's own.. Raid 0 , well technically you
    need to drives for a real stripe.

    Scott, Oct 4, 2004
  7. andyw

    Paul Guest

    Have you connected to the SATA connectors next to the Southbridge ?
    Gone into the BIOS and "Configure SATA As" [RAID] ? See section
    4.3.6 of the BIOS setup in the manual, for details. You'll
    probably need to enable the "Onboard Serial ATA BootROM" as well.

    After you save and exit, the next time the board POSTS, try the
    control I thing again, and maybe the RAID BIOS will give you
    the option.

    On a previous Intel based board, one user couldn't get the RAID
    BIOS to work, because even though he had two drives connected,
    one of the RAID ports was dead. After RMAing the board, he got
    it to work. I think this kind of failure is very rare, and look
    for BIOS setup issues first, as being the reason for the problem.

    Just a guess,
    Paul

    Paul, Oct 5, 2004