Asus P5K Deluxe Wifi or Asus Blitz Formula?

Discussion in 'Overclocking' started by Erratic, Sep 21, 2007.

  1. Erratic

    Erratic Guest

    While finally close to rock stable my latest upgrade/rebuild hasn't gone
    too well and am coming to the conclusion my P5N32-E SLI may be to blame
    (almost everything else has been swapped/replaced or removed). Anyhow...

    Components are :-

    E4300 Core 2 Duo (o/c to 3.0GHz)
    2GB PC6400 Crucial Ballistix Tracer
    320MB 8800GTS
    3xHDD and 2 DVD-RW Drives
    700W PSU
    Kandalf LCS Case (Water cooled CPU)

    I don't need SLI/Crossfire so motherboards based on P35 chipset are
    fine, I was going to get the P5K but a number of suppliers have the
    Blitz formula only £10-20 more and as I've just dipped my toe into
    watercooling the Blitz Formula is just a little more appealing with its
    water cooled chipset option.

    Niether board is cheap and both have good reviews, I need the board to
    be a good O/C and to be able to take a quad-core or better in the future.

    Any advice appreciated.

    Erratic, Sep 21, 2007

  2. Erratic

    Phil Weldon Guest

    'Erratic' wrote:
    | While finally close to rock stable my latest upgrade/rebuild hasn't gone
    | too well and am coming to the conclusion my P5N32-E SLI may be to blame
    | (almost everything else has been swapped/replaced or removed). Anyhow...
    |
    | Components are :-
    |
    | E4300 Core 2 Duo (o/c to 3.0GHz)
    | 2GB PC6400 Crucial Ballistix Tracer
    | 320MB 8800GTS
    | 3xHDD and 2 DVD-RW Drives
    | 700W PSU
    | Kandalf LCS Case (Water cooled CPU)
    |

    | I don't need SLI/Crossfire so motherboards based on P35 chipset are
    | fine, I was going to get the P5K but a number of suppliers have the
    | Blitz formula only £10-20 more and as I've just dipped my toe into
    | watercooling the Blitz Formula is just a little more appealing with its
    | water cooled chipset option.
    |
    | Niether board is cheap and both have good reviews, I need the board to
    | be a good O/C and to be able to take a quad-core or better in the future.
    |
    | Any advice appreciated.
    _____

    How about posting some information on the temperatures reported by Intel TAT
    under 100% load for each core, as well as idle temperatures.

    I have an EVGA 680i with an EVGA 8800 GTS 320 MByte and Patriot PC-8500
    (DDR2-1066) 1 GByte X 2 and an E4300. With an aftermarket ThermalTake i7 my
    best stable overclock is 2.7 GHz undervolted from the stock 1.350 to 1.250
    volts. Temperature limits higher CPU overclocks (3.0 GHz is possible, but
    the CPU core voltage must be higher than I like. The memory overclocks
    quite nicely to DDR2-1200 and the EVGA 8800 GTS 320 MByte does also. I do
    question some of the extremely high overclocks reported for air cooled
    E4300. Cost/benefit wise, a few hundred MHz increase in CPU speed is not
    worth a few hundred US dollars for the slight added performance, especially
    since now a few extra hundred US dollars could get a Q6600.

    Phil Weldon

    Phil Weldon, Sep 21, 2007

  3. Erratic

    Ed M. Guest

    That is a pretty good OC on the 4300. As Phil says, a little more info might
    help a little. I had the same MB on my E6600 build at first and it was fine
    until the SATA controller failed. That is a known issue, but most worked out
    fine. My replacement was a Striker Extreme with the same chipset and a few
    extra bells and whistles. I have had pretty good luck overall with the 680i
    chipset. I took my E6600 out for a build for my son and now have a Q6600 (C0
    stepping) in the Striker running at 3.37Ghz and it is fast.

    Ed

    Ed M., Sep 21, 2007
  4. : That is a pretty good OC on the 4300. As Phil says, a little more info might
    : help a little. I had the same MB on my E6600 build at first and it was fine
    : until the SATA controller failed. That is a known issue, but most worked out
    : fine. My replacement was a Striker Extreme with the same chipset and a few
    : extra bells and whistles. I have had pretty good luck overall with the 680i
    : chipset. I took my E6600 out for a build for my son and now have a Q6600 (C0
    : stepping) in the Striker running at 3.37Ghz and it is fast.

    May I ask a couple of Striker questions please. Wwhere you were able
    to get the E6600 up to before you swapped it out with the Q? I'm
    having trouble getting my E6600 up beyond 3.0 in the Striker whereas I
    had no problem getting up to 400x8 and beyond with the same processor
    on a P5W DH.

    Did you mod the heat pipe arrangements at all? I think I could fry an
    egg on the northbridge and it has me worried...

    Can you run ntune without locking the system up?

    Striker Extreme, bios 1203
    E6600 B2 333x9, arctic freezer 7
    Dominator 8500 C5D which I can't get beyond DDR2 800 even though
    they're supposedly rated for 1066
    Rotton mad dog 430W p/s which seems tapped out - the system draws 330W
    during orthos

    Hoping the shiny new antec p/s will be the fix here

    Howard Goldstein, Sep 21, 2007
  5. Erratic

    Erratic Guest

    Problem is random lockups when the graphics card comes under load,
    either games or video (after 5-30 seconds). This is regardless of video
    card, tried 6800, 7900GT, 8800GTS and couple of ATI cards.

    I suspect something to do with the PCI-E part of the chipset when put
    underload. I dont think its heat as powering off the system (but
    keeping the board powered) and allowing everything to cool will *always*
    result in the same lockup next time video is put under load. However
    just switching the power off from the board for 5 seconds and back on
    will usually cure it. To me this looks like some incorrect internal
    setting on the board is surviving the crash and only powering it off
    completely resets it to the working state.

    Apart from this issue the system is rock stable even under sustained
    load 24/7 (BOINC) and passes various stability tests without missing a
    beat (48hrs+).

    I run the CPU at 325x9 (2925Mhz) at 1.4125v in BIOS (1.39v reported),
    RAM at 940Mhz (4-4-4-12) at 2.25v.

    CPU will POST ok up to a little over 3150 (350x9) but fails prime or
    simply reboots after at most a couple of minutes when over about 3060
    (usually in less than 10 seconds), increasing voltage makes no
    difference. 356FSB seem to be about the limit for this CPU on this MB
    even dropping the muliplier it wont POST.

    RAM is actually ok up to around 972Mhz at same voltages and timings
    above but I get strange black screen flashes at random, pauses lasting 2
    to 20 seconds where the screen wont update and occasional BSOD. This is
    despite passing 72 hours memtest86+ without problem and working fine on
    a friends board.

    PSU(s) I've tried are Thermaltake 700W Toughpower, Antec 460W and
    Jeantech 700W STORM. System is pulling only about 260W max (according
    to the meter on the STORM PSU). Voltages are very stable.

    MB voltages are HT=1.3v, NB=1.45v, SB=1.55v and VTT=1.55v, all other
    voltages are auto.

    Temperatures (CPU/MB) are 58C/45C under full load and 30C/42C idle/low load.

    First P5N32-E SLI I had died after about a month, first it got VERY
    flakey then got some strange voltage readings including warning of
    overvoltage on the 12v line (BIOS said 27v!!), not surprisingly a week
    after this the BIOS chip physically burnt up!).

    Another week after getting the replacement board one of the RAM sticks
    died completely.

    About 2 weeks after this the 7900GT i was using started to flake out.

    Erratic, Sep 21, 2007
  6. Erratic

    Ed M. Guest

    I had the e6600 up to 3.7Ghz at its max eventually, but it took a lot of
    Vcore to get it stable. Backed it down to 3.6Ghz and it was very stable and
    cool and took much less Vcore. I have the same issues with my Muskin Extreme
    DDR2 1133. I just can't get anywhere much above 866 with it. I tried Ntune
    very early and thought it was crap. Nothing but lockups and instability with
    it. I took it off my system rather quickly and never looked back. You should
    be ok with about a 550-600W. There have been several folks in the ngs that
    have had issues with Antec lately. I always use PC Power and Cooling PSUs
    only because I just don't have any problems with them. They keep their
    design very simple and they just work.

    Ed

    Ed M., Sep 22, 2007
  7. :
    : : > : That is a pretty good OC on the 4300. As Phil says, a little more info
    : > might
    : > : help a little. I had the same MB on my E6600 build at first and it was
    : > fine
    : > : until the SATA controller failed. That is a known issue, but most
    : > worked out
    : > : fine. My replacement was a Striker Extreme with the same chipset and a
    : > few
    : > : extra bells and whistles. I have had pretty good luck overall with the
    : > 680i
    : > : chipset. I took my E6600 out for a build for my son and now have a
    : > Q6600 (C0
    : > : stepping) in the Striker running at 3.37Ghz and it is fast.
    : >
[...]
    :
    :
    : I had the e6600 up to 3.7Ghz at its max eventually, but it took a lot of
    : Vcore to get it stable. Backed it down to 3.6Ghz and it was very stable and
    : cool and took much less Vcore. I have the same issues with my Muskin Extreme
    : DDR2 1133. I just can't get anywhere much above 866 with it. I tried Ntune
    : very early and thought it was crap. Nothing but lockups and instability with
    : it. I took it off my system rather quickly and never looked back. You should
    : be ok with about a 550-600W. There have been several folks in the ngs that
    : have had issues with Antec lately. I always use PC Power and Cooling PSUs
    : only because I just don't have any problems with them. They keep their
    : design very simple and they just work.
    :

    Ahhhh I wish I'd researched the power supply part a little more
    then. I was worried about having cables long enough. In the q6600 box
    with this funky p/s on the bottom alot of my Good Cable Management was
    for naught as the last p/s lead I connected wasn't long enough to thread
    beneath the motherboard tray (thermaltake p/s)

    I'm having a lot of long term instability issues right now back on the
    e6600 and the striker. I can get what seems to be stability back
    where I used to be on the P5W - 400 x 8 -- but when I get up in the
    morning I see that the box reset itself at some point instead of
    greeting me with orthos running :(

    So I'm stuck at 3.0 but still pressing on, I'm going to try to find a
    good spot to pick off vcore for measuring with the VOM later today and
    see where I am. Vcore as set in the bios excessive and asus probe as
    well as the bios show a pretty large disparity between what 's set and
    what's reported when the box is quiescent. I did one of the vdroop
    mods but don't like it (pencil, seems funky for production use) Did
    you do the vdroop mod to your striker?

    Reassuring that I'm not the only one to have issues above 800mhz.
    Thanks

    Howard Goldstein, Sep 23, 2007
  8. Erratic

    Ed M. Guest

    : I had the e6600 up to 3.7Ghz at its max eventually, but it took a
    I haven't had the northbridge heat pipe problems on the Striker. It is
    quite a bit more efficient than the other Asus 680i (P5N32E-SLI) because it
    is much larger and has the fan. If you didn't install the fan on the HSs on
    the heatpipe, you should. It makes a huge difference. I also have not done
    the vdroop mod either. I have used the pencil for other mods like on the old
    AMDs. I even used a rear-window defroster repair kit on one of the early AMD
    XP chips to unlock the multiplier.......:). It does work. My voltages do
    vary a bit from what I have set, but once I know the disparities, I don't
    worry about it. I just set voltages accordingly. At least the disparities
    seem to be very constant and don't vary.
    Memory is an issue on these boards, but not confined to just the 680i
    chipsets. It seems to be an issue across the board. I wish I had just got
    some slower, non SLI memory and saved some cash. I fell into it hook, line
    and sinker. Even with extremely loose timings, I can't get anywhere close to
    the rated speed of my memory. It is rated at 2.35v and even set there it
    doesn't help. I get the best results in the 2.1-2.2v range.

    Ed

    Ed M., Sep 24, 2007
  9. : > : I had the e6600 up to 3.7Ghz at its max eventually, but it took a
[...]
    : > :
    : >
[...]

    You are 100% right on. I put two of the fans on and bam, took the
    rear MOSFET heat sink down to 120 and the NB heatsink to 115. Why
    didn't they put fans on this board to begin with?

    : the vdroop mod either. I have used the pencil for other mods like on the old
    : AMDs. I even used a rear-window defroster repair kit on one of the early AMD
    : XP chips to unlock the multiplier.......:). It does work. My voltages do

    Rear window defroster repair kit? To jumper something?

    : vary a bit from what I have set, but once I know the disparities, I don't
    : worry about it. I just set voltages accordingly. At least the disparities
    : seem to be very constant and don't vary.
    : Memory is an issue on these boards, but not confined to just the 680i
    : chipsets. It seems to be an issue across the board. I wish I had just got
    : some slower, non SLI memory and saved some cash. I fell into it hook, line
    : and sinker. Even with extremely loose timings, I can't get anywhere close to
    : the rated speed of my memory. It is rated at 2.35v and even set there it
    : doesn't help. I get the best results in the 2.1-2.2v range.

    I must have beat my head against the wall to make it work but finally
    I'm there at DDR2-1067, albeit at the rated 5-5-5-15 2t, at least as
    far as 24 hours of orthos blended is telling me. The trick turned out
    to be either in the sockets or in turning everything on the board way
    up other than Vcore and a smidgen to 2.2 on the memory. Dropping
    these puppies into B1 & B2 I have a feeling was the key because the
    other voltage pushes didn't do a thing before. It seems very solid.
    We'll see after it runs for another 24 hours.

    Word has it these corsair 8500-C5Ds can go 4-4-4-5 and 1t but I want
    to try to make sure it can go 48 hours without barfing...

    One thing strange/disturbing was that it was still flakey in the A1 &
    A2 sockets at anything over 667mhz, but was stable at 667 *provided* I
    had Vcore up at 1.4125 (measured). I suppose that should have been
    the giveaway something else was funky. Maybe something still is funky
    since running at 333x9 is only solid with Vcore at 1.3825 :(

    I'm looking forward to working on the Q6600. I'll dig back into your
    earlier posts and see where you went with the part. (What stepping did
    you wind up with?)

    Howard Goldstein, Sep 26, 2007