Asus P5KPL SE bad bios checksum

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Gagi, May 5, 2010.

  1. Gagi

    Gagi Guest

    Greetings from Croatia ;)

    i am using this mb which is supporting c2d processors with my old prescott
    3.0 HT processor.
    Both are LGA 775.

    The problem is..... I can't boot my computer from time to time. It says BAD
    BIOS CHECKSUM and then computer searches for some file on floppy or CD ROM.

    When i insert motherboard's CD, the computer finds file, and then start
    erasing and then programming bios (i think).

    Can there be any conflict using Prescott on new MB (which supports c2d
    processors).

    I'm asking this becouse i tried to replace the bios battery and there was no
    helo with it

    Sry about bad english

    Gagi, May 5, 2010

  2. Gagi

    Paul Guest

    Is your processor in the list here ? If you are unsure, look for SLxxx code
    from the Intel processor box, or any other part number code you can find.

    http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=P5KPL SE

    The BIOS battery does not control that function. The BIOS is stored
    in a flash memory chip. I see two possibilities. Either the clock
    frequency being used to read the flash chip is wrong (running
    flash chip outside of clock rate specification), or the flash
    chip itself is defective. My guess would be, there is a
    clock problem of some sort. Are you "overclocking" the processor ?
    It could be, that one of the bus clocks is not locked to a fixed
    frequency, and the bus clock frequency varies as a function of
    the degree of overclock.

    You can try downloading a new BIOS file from the download page. If
    you do that, also copy that BIOS file to a floppy or CD, in the
    same way as the motherboard CD provides a BIOS file. Use the same
    file extension as is used on the Asus motherboard CD. Then, if at
    some future date, you are told of a checksum error, feed the "new"
    BIOS file to it. Don't use the old motherboard CD for the checksum
    error any more, once you're using the latest BIOS. The latest
    BIOS here is version 0602.

    http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=P5KPL SE

    I looked on the vip.asus.com forums, but don't see anyone else having
    this problem.

    http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx?board_id=1&model=P5KPL SE&SLanguage=en-us

    Paul

    Paul, May 5, 2010

  3. Gagi

    Gagi Guest

    Can you please give me link for latest bios download. Im using win XP sp2.
    I'll download it and copy it to CD as you said

    Please help

    TY

    Gagi, May 5, 2010
  4. Gagi

    Paul Guest

    The download page for your motherboard is here.

    http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=P5KPL SE

    From BIOS-Utilities, you can get "Afudos BIOS update tool V2.38".

    From BIOS section, you can get "P5KPL SE 0602 BIOS". When the download
    file is unzipped, it will be 1024KB in size.

    Place AFUDOS, the BIOS file, on an MSDOS floppy, and boot from that floppy.
    Then, update the BIOS. You should rename the BIOS file, to be consistent with
    the file naming convention on your motherboard CD. It may have used an 8.3
    filename.

    Once the computer is booted to MSDOS, you can enter something similar to:

    afudos /? # To get help options

    afudos /iP5KP0602.rom

    and that should flash the BIOS. You would keep a copy of the new
    BIOS, with short file name, on a new CD or floppy, in case you
    need it again.

    Paul

    Paul, May 5, 2010
  5. Gagi