    The sata drivers are installed with Windows already because the pure
    sata drive will work fine.

    Anyone try anything similar or have any ideas? Thanks!

    Macy, Oct 3, 2005

  2. Macy

    Paul Guest

    Those kinds of adapters aren't always trouble-free:

    http://secure.newegg.com/app/CustratingReview.asp?DEPA=0&item=13-999-402

    Some brands (and the convert chips they use) work better than others.
    Before buying one, I'd "google" the brand/model number, and see
    whether it is working for people.

    Another option would be to get an IDE controller board.

    PROMISE ULTRA100TX2 PCI IDE Controller Card - Retail
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16816102026

    PROMISE ULTRA133TX2 PCI IDE Controller Card - Retail
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16816102027

    With the Ultra100TX2, you would want to make sure it has
    the latest onboard flash code, so that the card can handle
    disks larger than 137GB in the future. Again, googling for
    people's experiences with these things will tell you whether
    the odds are good for this option or not. You may need to
    press F6 during Windows install, to give Windows some drivers
    for the card. I have an Ultra 100 in one of my computers,
    and didn't have a problem with it - I boot Windows with it.
    It's been quite a while since I set it up.

    Paul

    Paul, Oct 3, 2005

  3. Macy

    Macy Guest

    Thanks Paul. Yes, I did think about getting an IDE controller card, but
    decided to take a shot with the adapter because it was cheaper and more
    space saving. They seem hard to come by too. They hadn't even heard of
    such a thing at the two places I went to in town. It's a shame that
    during this "ide sata transitionary period" the motherboard didn't just
    have a second IDE slot, but it's good to know there are alternatives. I
    could just simply use the drive it came with, heck, it's big enough!
    But I always have to do something to make my world more complicated ;)

    Macy, Oct 3, 2005