    Thanks,
    Colonel Blip.
    E-mail:

    Colonel Blip, Oct 16, 2007

  2. In the thread 'Which Gigabyte For C2D?' Phil shows an E2140 overclocked to
    3.2GHz. Not bad for $75.

    If you really want the additional L2 cache of the E6xxx series, the E6600
    will easily reach 3.0GHz. I use the TT CL-P0114 however the stock HSF might
    be fine if Vcore is kept low.

    Terrence Quinn, Oct 16, 2007

  3. Colonel Blip

    hemm99 Guest

    Forget the ASUS P5W, its an old board with an odd arraignment of disk
    controllers. Look for something like the Abit P35Pro. Much more stable
    and overclocks much better.

    hemm99, Oct 17, 2007
  4. Colonel Blip

    Colonel Blip Guest

    Hello, !
    You wrote on Tue, 16 Oct 2007 19:05:47 -0400:

    I'll check it out. Reason for the p5w is the odd arrangement (multitude) of
    connectors. My current system needs 4 IDE channels as well as a couple of
    SATA RAID chips.

    Thanks,

    Colonel Blip.
    E-mail:

    h> On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 15:36:05 -0500, "Colonel Blip"

    h> Forget the ASUS P5W, its an old board with an odd arraignment of disk
    h> controllers. Look for something like the Abit P35Pro. Much more stable
    h> and overclocks much better.

    Colonel Blip, Oct 17, 2007
  5. : Forget the ASUS P5W, its an old board with an odd arraignment of disk
    : controllers. Look for something like the Abit P35Pro. Much more stable
    : and overclocks much better.

    As a satisfied P5W DH user but not an expert overclocker I agree and
    second hemm99's comments. It *is* ugly wiring 4 drives in for
    software RAID service, and it's across multiple controllers because
    one of the ICH9 ports is ESATA only on the back. And it's sort of
    obsolete. Might make an exception if I were going to use it in it's
    niche use, for digital home, maybe as a PVR, put next to your tv and
    use the remote control doohickey, and if the price were great since
    the successor P35 is now sort of superseded by the X38 based systems.
    But even for PVR service a lot of tuner cards alreade come with remote
    controls...

    Howard Goldstein, Oct 17, 2007
  6. Colonel Blip

    Colonel Blip Guest

    Hello, Howard!
    You wrote on Wed, 17 Oct 2007 13:28:54 GMT:

    In my case I have 4 IDE devices (2 HD, 2 DVD/CD) and 2 SATA drives (hardware
    RAID use) and 2 USB HD's. I either have to buy a board like the P5W DH or
    buy new SATA hard drives. I prefer the former, not the latter. I suppose, if
    I replace the $200 MB with one that costs $100 I could go with a bigger SATA
    drive to replace the 2 IDE HD's.

    Thanks,

    Colonel Blip.
    E-mail:

    Colonel Blip, Oct 17, 2007
  7. : Hello, Howard!
    : You wrote on Wed, 17 Oct 2007 13:28:54 GMT:
    :
    : In my case I have 4 IDE devices (2 HD, 2 DVD/CD) and 2 SATA drives (hardware
    : RAID use) and 2 USB HD's. I either have to buy a board like the P5W DH or
    : buy new SATA hard drives. I prefer the former, not the latter. I suppose, if
    : I replace the $200 MB with one that costs $100 I could go with a bigger SATA
    : drive to replace the 2 IDE HD's.
    :

    Well there's a few other ways to deal with this, like a PCI PATA
    controller card. It'd set you back about $10 probably

    The P5W is OK but if you're going to overclock it you're going to want
    to ditch the heat pipes to upgrade the northbridge heatsink. A
    Swifttech MCX-159CU on the NB and a thermalright HR-09U does the trick
    here for 347x9 with a Q6600 G0

    Howard Goldstein, Oct 18, 2007