    Does anyone know if maybe I need a different bios? Does the 050
    version work with with the dual core 805

    Any help would be appreciated

    Indianbear, Jul 14, 2006

  2. Unless you have a truly ancient BIOS it should work. I presume that you
    are trying to come up in a "stock" configuration (no overclocking).
    This is usually a simple, kind of obvious problem, it's rare for this to
    actually be a bad part (motherboard, CPU, memory, etc.).

    Start by stripping down to a base system. Remove all cards except
    video, disconnect everything (all drives, of all types). Motherboard,
    ONE memory module, CPU, video card, NOTHING ELSE.

    Double-check all jumpers. Check the battery and clear CMOS jumpers.
    Check the power supply connections. Check the CPU for proper installation.

    Barry Watzman, Jul 14, 2006

  3. By the way, disconnect the keyboard and mouse also. I've seen this
    happen when the keyboard and mouse were both plugged into the wrong
    socket (keyboard in mouse socket & vice-versa).

    Barry Watzman, Jul 14, 2006
  4. Indianbear

    Paul Guest

    Is the ATX 12V 2x2 power connector connected ?
    There is no beep if the CPU is not getting power.

    What are you using for a power supply ?

    Paul

    Paul, Jul 14, 2006
  5. Indianbear

    Ghostrider Guest

    We've been testing a P5WD2-E Premium with a Pentium D 950
    CPU and it powered right up. PSU is Enermax Liberty 620 W
    and all of the power supply sockets on the otherboard were
    populated, i.e., 20-pin + 4-pin main power, both ATX-12V
    4-pin, and single Molex. Still running OK after 4 days of
    burn-in. The power setup is probably very important for this
    motherboard and the Pentium D CPU's.

    Ghostrider, Jul 14, 2006
  6. Indianbear

    Ronald Cole Guest

    You neglect to mention which BIOS came on the mainboard, but you need
    at least BIOS 0301 for that CPU.

    Fans coming on but no beeps or nothing is just what happened to me when
    I tried to install a Pentium 965 on this board and it only had BIOS 0302.

    Ronald Cole, Jul 14, 2006
  7. If you have a dual rail power supply (and I think you do), using both
    the ATX12V and the EZ plug will short the two rails together, which is
    not a good idea. First, it defeats the whole purpose of the two
    independent rails. Second, the voltage output of the two independent 12
    volt rails is not EXACTLY the same, and you can get substantial currents
    running between the two rails, which is bad for everything in the system.

    I'd suggest that you remove the "EZ-Plug".

    Barry Watzman, Jul 15, 2006
  8. Indianbear

    raphoenix Guest

    Let the "GAMES" Begin !!

    raphoenix, Jul 15, 2006
  9. Indianbear

    Paul Guest

    12V2 powers only the processor.

    12V1 powers motherboard and disk drive connectors. Thus, when
    EZPlug is connected to the motherboard, it is the same 12V1
    which is present on the main ATX power connector.

    Paul

    Paul, Jul 15, 2006
  10. Indianbear

    Paul Guest

    For more info on ATX power supplies, see Pg.37 and Pg.38:

    http://www.formfactors.org/developer/specs/ATX12V_PSDG_2_2_public_br2.pdf

    Paul

    Paul, Jul 15, 2006
  11. The "EZ-Plug" (which is a non-standard proprietary Asus invention not
    covered by any standards) is an alternative to the ATX12V connector. On
    the motherboard, the ATX12V connector and the EZ Plug are tied togehter
    (in fact, they are more than tied together, they are just two different
    connectors for the same foil runs). Thus, if you use both the ATX12V
    connector and the EZ Plug, you are tying the two rails together, which
    is not a good idea and which can cause problems. In effect, if you use
    both the EZ-Plug and the ATX12V connectors, you are using both rails to
    power the processor.

    Barry Watzman, Jul 16, 2006
  12. Indianbear

    Paul Guest

    The EZPlug was in parallel with the ATX12V 2x2 connector, on
    some of the original P4 boards. My P4B motherboard has that
    connector. This is from the P4B-105.pdf downloadable manual:

    "In addition to the 20-pin ATXPWR connector, this motherboard
    requires that you connect the 4-pin ATX +12V power plug to
    provide sufficient power to the CPU.

    If you are using a standard ATX power supply that does not
    have the ATX +12V plug, connect one 4-pin device power plug
    to the ASUS EZ Plug connector labeled AUX +12V."

    So, in that case EZPlug is in parallel with the ATX 12V 2x2.

    Now, we look at the instructions in a recent board with EZPlug.
    From the P5WD2-E Premium manual:

    "When installing two VGA cards using a 20-pin ATX PSU with
    sufficient +12V capability, we recommend that you connect
    the EZ Plug for better current path from +12V. Refer to the
    PSU documentation for dual VGA power requirements."

    The video card +12V rail is separate from the ATX12V 2x2. The
    video card runs from 12V1, and so does a Molex disk drive connector.
    On a pre-ATX 2.0+ power supply, all 12V are the same, so that
    one isn't a problem either.

    So, times have changed Barry. The EZ Plug used to be used as
    a substitute for a missing ATX12V 2x2 connector. Now, it is
    used to provide extra current for the video card, and that is
    an entirely different thing.

    Stop trying to confuse people!

    Paul

    Paul, Jul 16, 2006
  13. Indianbear

    mrfreezy

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Same Issues

    I have the same issue. i stripped the mobo down to bare metal and still no boot. This is also on my RMA'd board. so this is the 2nd one i get. The issues are not the bios from what i can see, more of a chip issue. Bios issue would at least give a beep, this mobo is dead silent of any chirps.

    I think it's time Asus recognizes this and posts this as an issue on the website. Online forums are plagued with people having this issue.

    mrfreezy, Jul 31, 2006