    Sorry for being dim about this but I am old :(
    tia.
    Stuart.

    srt, Feb 14, 2014

  2. srt

    Paul Guest

    If there are two paths to the same place, the software
    has to decide which path to use.

    "Automatic Metric feature for Internet Protocol routes"

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299540

    Whereas the previous article was for dis-similar networking
    elements, you can also team together two identical NICs,
    in an attempt to double the bandwidth. The various terms for
    this, are listed here. There were even attempts years ago,
    to do this with dialup networking (forgotten all the details).

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link_aggregation

    One person who knew something about that, commented that
    you couldn't double the bandwidth for a single connection.
    Only the grand total of bandwidth would be doubled. Perhaps
    you could do downloads from Google, Microsoft, and Dell at the
    same time, and manage to use double the bandwidth. If you had
    a single connection to Google, it couldn't go faster
    than one of the wires in the team. Which is exactly what
    most people are after. To team or aggregate at that level,
    likely requires a proprietary solution (another layer of protocol,
    perhaps sequence numbers or something).

    My ISP supports link aggregation. You can buy up to seven
    ADSL wires, and the equipment on the ISP end can combine
    the bandwidth of them all (MLPPP). So there are some other cases
    where this sort of thing is supported. I haven't a clue if
    that has the same granularity issue or not (one big fat connection).

    *******

    I don't really think you want any of that :) If you use the
    Wifi, or you use the NIC, just use one at a time, and as soon
    as the opportunity presents itself, they will connect. On Wifi, there
    should be a little control applet, for turning off the radio in
    situations where you don't want it used. I used that on my laptop
    (and usually have trouble remembering where it's located).

    There is a table here, of Wifi bandwidths. And I notice
    a new one 802.11ad making amazing promises. Probably, that
    you'll be cooked by microwaves, while surfing with your
    web browser :) At least this has a stated rate, faster
    than a GbE wired NIC.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/802.11n

    802.11ad ~Feb 2014 2.4GHz/5GHz/60GHz (up to 6.75Gb/s)

    Yeah, like that's going to happen (i.e. get a good result).
    For Wifi standards in the past, best case, you get half
    of the max value. I wonder if the 60GHz will penetrate walls ?

    http://mashable.com/2010/05/10/wi-fi-faster-60ghz/

    "Unfortunately, the new standard would come with severe drawbacks;
    Wi-Fi signal operating in the 60 GHz band would not be able
    to penetrate walls;"

    Well, no surprise there I guess.

    Paul

    Paul, Feb 14, 2014

  3. srt

    srt Guest

    Sorry for not getting back but thank you for your reply and very
    detailed information.
    Stuart.

    srt, Feb 17, 2014